Have you ever experienced the blurring of vision or diminished sight? Do you have a problem while driving at night? If yes, then you need to see a doctor for you could be suffering from cataract.
What is Cataract?
Sometimes, the lens or the lens capsule of the eye clouds up, which obstructs the passage of light thus, affects sight. Initially, you will feel that the power of your lens has increased, but gradually you will find it difficult to distinguish between colors, and slowly it will lead to loss of vision. Generally, cataract develops in both eyes, but its intensity varies. Cataracts can be age-related or could be present at birth. The former type is the most common especially in those above 65 years.
Are you at risk for developing cataracts?
Some factors that increase the risk of developing cataracts are:
1. Age – you need to be extra careful after the age of 65 years.
2. Family history – If you have any close relatives who have suffered from this.
3. Diseases like diabetes also increase the risk.
4. Exposure to bright sun for prolonged hours will be harmful because of the UV rays which damage the eyes.
5. Use of certain drugs and steroids like corticosteroids.
6. Injury to the eye also makes it susceptible to developing cataracts.
How to prevent cataracts?
Although surgery is the only sure cure for cataracts, you can take precautions and prevent cataracts from occurring in the first place. Some things that you can do are:
1. Go for regular eye checkups and take extra care as you become older.
3. Healthy diet. This is the backbone of good health. Green vegetables and fruits should be made a part of your diet.
4. Wear sunglasses to protect your eyes from UV rays.
5. Exercise and be careful about developing obesity which can lead to diabetes and put you at risk for cataract.
6. Keep your sugar levels under control.
There are a number of ways in which cataract can be treated. The right course of action is decided by the ophthalmologist after examining the patient. If in the beginning stages, the doctor can prescribe cataract eye drops or stronger glasses to improve vision. Apart from this, precautions like avoiding driving at night and wearing sunglasses during the day will also help. These will give temporary relief and surgery will have to be done once the condition deteriorates.
Do cataract eye drops help?
As of now, surgery is seen as the only cure for cataracts. However, a lot of research is going on to find out noninvasive means to cure cataracts. One of the ways, many companies claim, is the use of cataract eye drops. They claim that this is an easy and safe means to cure the problem. There are a number of companies that manufacture these drops. Though some of them have been successful in some patients, research is still underway to make them completely foolproof.