It is common knowledge that getting a good night’s sleep is critical for both your health and your well-being. Enjoying the rest that you require and deserve can only truly be made possible when you feel comfortable in your bed. Making simple changes such as upgrading your mattress or utilizing Egyptian cotton sheets can make a world of difference in the rest you receive each night. Here are five ways to improve your bedding in order to sleep better.
1. Upgrade your mattress – When was the last time your replaced your bed’s mattress? If it has been awhile, you may be noticing that it isn’t as comfortable as it used to be. Over time, your mattress may become less firm and supportive, and it may develop uncomfortable saggy spots or bumps. It is not a good sign when you are waking up each morning with an achy back or feeling like you haven’t gotten any rest at all. If this is the case, upgrading to a new mattress is a worthwhile investment for your well-being.
2. Utilize mattress covers – You can actually boost the comfort of your existing mattress by utilizing mattress covers. These pads are made from various materials such as down, feathers, and foam depending on what your individual comfort preferences are. Just be sure to select a material that will not trigger an allergic reaction.
3. Invest in Egyptian Cotton – Many people have made the switch to Egyptian cotton sheets as they offer superior softness and comfort. The soft texture is provided through long fibers and high thread counts which help to eliminate the disturbance during sleep that is typically caused by rough, regular cotton sheets. This softness will go a long way in allowing you to feel more rested and relaxed upon waking up.
4. Pick the right pillow – Taking the time to select the correct pillow will make a world of difference in your sleep patterns. A pillow that is too firm or too soft for your needs can leave you tossing and turning all night long, preventing you from getting much needed rest. If you find it difficult to get comfortable when falling asleep or notice that you have been waking up each day with stiff shoulders or a “crick” in your neck, your pillow may be the culprit.
5. Select comfortable blankets – The amount of blankets you will need depends greatly on your local climate and individual preferences. Regardless, you will want to select soft and comfortable blankets and comforters that will leave you feeling warm and cozy. Be wary of wool blankets that may seem to provide warmth but could end up being very scratchy and uncomfortable during sleep.
R. L. Youssef is a part of an elite team of writers who have contributed to hundreds of blogs and news sites. Follow her @RLYoussef.