There are plenty of routines focused on dumbbells only or machines only. In some cases it makes it seem like the barbell is an outdated or not so useful tool; but that just isn’t true. Each of those listed items is a valuable tool in the gym to help get you in better shape. So to make sure the poor barbell’s feelings aren’t hurt we have designed a program that focuses completely on the barbell to get you in shape.
This is a great routine for people who workout at home and only have a barbell and some weight plates. You can also do it at the gym. Just because it uses a barbell doesn’t mean you can’t work every angle of your body.
The Barbell Workout
This is a split body workout that is meant to be done in two separate sessions. You can perform it two times per week depending on fatigue but make sure to take at least two full days off between doing the same routine. Ideally this routine works great on a Monday/Tuesday/Thursday/Friday schedule. You will need a few things for this workout like a flat bench and a block of wood.
- Squats – 4 sets of 8 to 12 reps – Be careful doing this without a squat rack. Increase the reps if you do not have sufficient weight or if cleaning and pressing the weight to get it into position is difficult.
- Stiff-Legged Deadlifts – 3 sets of 8 to 12 reps
- Lunges – 2 sets of 8 to 12 reps
- Calf Raise – 4 sets of 12 to 20 reps – Do his standing on a block of wood for a better stretch or you can use weight plates under your toes.
- Good Morning – 2 sets of 15 to 20 reps
- Twists – 2 sets of 30 reps – With the barbell over your shoulders and twist slowly while sitting on the edge of the bench.
- Barbell Crunches – 2 sets of 30 reps – Holding the barbell across your chest with both arms is added resistance.
- Bench Press – 4 sets of 8 to 12 reps
- Pullovers – 2 sets of 8 to 12 reps – Use a close grip and then pull with slightly bent arms.
- Bent Rows – 3 sets of 8 to 12 reps
- Military Press – 3 sets of 8 to 12 reps
- Front Row – 3 sets of 8 to 12 reps
- Shrugs – 2 sets of 8 to 12 reps
- Barbell Curls – 2 sets of 8 to 12 reps
- Lying Triceps Extensions – 2 sets of 8 to 12 reps
- Reverse Curls – 2 sets of 8 to 12 reps
For articles on the best bodybuilding supplements like “Is nitric oxide an effective supplement to build muscle”, visit us at nutribomb.com. You can also follow our posts at our google plus page.