Having trouble sleeping at night? Experts state several ways to improve your sleep through studies and research. The following are all ways that I have been able to sleep better.
1. My number one tip is your pillow! Finding a comfortable position either makes or breaks a good night’s rest. I am a stomach sleeper. When I fall asleep I am very comfortable but I always wake up with sore and tight muscles. Lately, I have been trying to become a side sleeper to relax my muscles. I really struggled until my mom bought me an amazing pillow. I call it my magic pillow. It was a simple cheap pillow from Kroger, maybe $7.00. I replaced it with my Tempurpedic pillow. My nights have never been the same!
2. Keep A Regular Sleep Schedule. This is something that I have always struggled with. I am one of those people who comes home from school and takes 2 or 3-hour naps. I have found that this is a huge reason why I don’t always sleep well during the night. I decided that I would limit my self. The days I kept my self busy and moving I had a better night’s rest. I limited my naps to the days I felt I was going to kill over and crash. Those days I would take a nap for no more than 30 minutes.
3. Keep A Regular Daily Schedule. After a long day of work or school, nothing sounds better than a relaxing nap.
- Taking a 30-minute nap will give you the boost of energy that you need. However watch that clock, if you sleep too long then your body won’t be tired enough to sleep through the night. By sticking with a set bedtime and a set wake up time (even on the weekends) your body gets used to it and automatically knows when to be awake and when to be asleep.
- End dinner 4 hours before bedtime and make sure you are done snacking 90 minutes before bedtime.
- When you leave a glass of water by your bed each night your body automatically wakes up thinking it needs a drink when really it needs to be sleeping.
4. Eat Healthy and Exercise Often!!! The days I chose not to eat healthily are the days I have no energy and I want to sleep all day long. When you eat healthy foods, especially fruits veggies, and proteins, your body has more energy to accomplish your daily goals. When you exercise your body releases endorphins that give you energy. This boost of energy wears you out just in time for bed. Be sure to end all exercise 3 hours before bed. By doing this you aren’t waking your body up just in time to go to sleep.
5. De-stress! Stress hits the hardest when you are trying to have a calm quiet peaceful moment. For me, that moment always comes at bedtime. By doing calming yoga or meditating before you go to sleep you release that stress and prepare your mind and body to turn off and go to sleep. One thing that I used to stress about every night was the safety of my home and my family. I found a really great security system from a local alarm company that has kept me safe and sleeping better than ever!
6. De-noise! Sleeping with the radio on at night keeps you subconsciously awake. When I fall asleep with the music playing I wake up with a song stuck in my head as well as a terrible night’s rest. The best way to shut out the noise is with a white noise machine. You can get one at Walmart or Target. You can also make your own by tuning the radio to static.
7. Warm baths and Lighting. Taking a warm bath at night helps relax your muscles and can give you a chance to clear your mind of any sleep preventing thoughts. Taking a bath is a great way to relieve stress and calm your self down. If you tend to wake up with sore muscles adjust your sleeping position or rub a muscle relaxer on your muscles before bed. Lighting a candle is another way to help your body relax and calm down. Candlelight releases melatonin which is a hormone that helps regulate your sleep cycle.
I am sure that there are many more ways to help someone sleep better at night. I would love to see comments about more ways to increase/better your sleep. I would also love to see comments from people that tried one or all of these 7 principles of sleep.
Diets7 years ago
Gluten Free Diet – Is It For Everyone?
Health8 years ago
Silent Killers That Are Negatively Affecting Your Health Every Day – And What You Can Do About Them
Health7 years ago
A List Of The Health Benefits Of Alkaline Water
Health2 years ago
5 Ways to Overcome a Sugar Addiction
Health2 years ago
Herbs That Will Help You Achieve Your Weight Loss Goals
Health8 years ago
Are Silver Fillings Bad for Your Health?
Nutrition7 years ago
10 Cancer Healing Foods
Beauty3 weeks ago
Silver Jewelry – A Step Towards Health and Beauty