Hemorrhoids are swollen veins present in the anus or rectum which are occurred due to putting extreme pressure on the veins present in the anal. Hemorrhoids are very painful when got irritated. They might bleed when got ruptured or put even more pressure on those veins. That’s why people who often suffer with hemorrhoids will experience blood in their stool.
Causes and Risk Factors for Hemorrhoids:
Hemorrhoids are very common, especially after the age of 40’s. Though there is no age limit for getting hemorrhoids. These may occur due to putting much pressure on the veins present in the anal canal. These are even common during pregnancy and after childbirth also. This is caused due to the baby during pregnancy will bring much pressure on the lower abdomen and thereby giving lot of stress on the veins present in the anal canal and in turn finally leads to hemorrhoids. These hemorrhoids may cause extreme pain and even discomfort to sit.
The most common reason for hemorrhoids is straining during the bowel movement.
Hemorrhoids may be caused for the following reasons:
- Constipation – During constipation, the person may strain a lot to get the stool out. Due to this, there will be much pressure put on the veins present in the anus. And finally this pressure makes the veins to swell. When more pressure is experienced on those veins, the swollen veins start bleeding.
- Straining during bowel movements.
- Long sittings – Sitting for long periods in toilet or may be outside, will bring lot of pressure on the veins present in your anus, which makes the veins to get swell.
- Diarrhea – Diarrhea is said to bring watery bowel movements. But no one thinks that, this might be a one of the reason for getting hemorrhoids. As during diarrhea, the stool is watery and people will put pressure on the veins present in the anal to get the total stool out. In diarrhea people have to go for bowel movements more often like more than three times a day. This also will bring stress on the veins present in the anal canal.
- Certain liver diseases like cirrhosis, may also be the reasons to get hemorrhoids.
- Lack of fiber – People need to take enough fiber in their foods in order to become their stool soft, otherwise their stool will be hard and it will become harder to pass through the anal canal and brings a lot of stress on the veins present in the anal canal.
- Lack of water intake – One must drink enough water daily in order to maintain their stool soft, otherwise the stool will get harder to pass through the anal canal.
Types of Hemorrhoids:
- Internal Hemorrhoids – Hemorrhoids which are present inside your anus and cannot be visible outside.
- External Hemorrhoids – Hemorrhoids which are present outside of your anus.
Symptoms for hemorrhoids:
The following are the symptoms for hemorrhoids
- Itching in your anal area.
- Pain in your anus especially when you are sitting.
- Blood in your stool or toilet paper.
- Extreme pain when having bowel movement.
- Swelling of veins present near your anus.
Tests used for identification of hemorrhoids:
One can find out external hemorrhoids easily as they can touch with their fingers easily. But internal hemorrhoids are hard to detect, unless you find blood in your stool. Otherwise we may need a doctor to perform some tests like colonoscopy, anoscopy to study the entire rectum and colon to check for the signs of hemorrhoids.
Treatment for hemorrhoids:
The following are the home treatments for hemorrhoids.
- Using the over-the-counter creams to get relief from pain and swelling.
- Use Aloe Vera contained gels on irritated hemorrhoids, as this will heal the hemorrhoid soon.
- To get rid of itching of your hemorrhoids, try to use witch hazel contained creams, which will be very helpful in getting rid of itching.
- Never scratch the hemorrhoids, even if you have the urge to scratch it. As this will make the condition of hemorrhoids even worse.
- Sitz baths are great way to get relief from hemorrhoids. Sit on 3-4 inches of warm water for five minutes. This will relieve the pain from hemorrhoids and reduces the swelling of hemorrhoids. Practice this many times in a day to get relief from hemorrhoids.
- Use a soft tissue paper to wipe your anal area. Handle the area gently.
If your hemorrhoids do not go away with home remedies for hemorrhoids, then you may seek for a doctor help, who will examine your condition and provide you the best treatment like heat treatment, in which your hemorrhoids will get shrink with infrared coagulation.
If you are experiencing severe condition of hemorrhoids with extreme pain and bleeding, then your doctor may suggest surgical procedures like rubber band litigation or hemorrhoidectomy.
Prevention of hemorrhoids:
Constipation is the main cause of hemorrhoids, as it will bring much pressure on your veins present in the anal canal. So to avoid constipation you need to follow the following things.
- Eat plenty of fiber rich foods like vegetables, fruits, oat bran, seeds etc.
- Avoid processed foods, as this will contain no fiber and will make your stool harder.
- Drink plenty of water, drink at least eight to nine ounces of water daily, as this will make your stool a lot smoother and it will be easy to pass through the anal canal.
- If you are unable to eat enough fiber in a day, then try a fiber supplements to provide enough fiber to your diet.