Many people are still unaware about the health benefits of beets. If you go only by taste, then beets may not be something that sounds great to you, but on the other hand, health conscious people love to include beets in their daily diet as beets are not only a good source of iron, but also strengthen the immune system in your body.
Beets also play a role as a guard against cancer. There are various vegetables we eat just because they are beneficial for our health, but beets are one of those vegetables that are overlooked by the majority of people. Beets are naturally sweet, and if you are using sliced beets, that means no cooking is involved. Following are some of the key benefits of including beets in your daily diet.
This chart graphically details the %DV that a serving of Beets provides for each of the nutrients of which it is a good, very good, or excellent source.
1.00 cup raw (136.00 grams) Nutrient%
Daily Value folate 37%
- Beets have no trans fats and saturated fats; in addition, beets are low in calories. They are an excellent food that satisfies your sweet tooth and makes you feel fuller.
- Beets are not too expensive, and you can buy canned beets at very low price. These canned beets can be eaten either by just slicing them or whole. You can buy a few cans of these beets and keep them in your refrigerator.
- Beets are an excellent source of instant energy for your body as they are rich in carbohydrates. Beets are considered a body fuel.
- Beets are considered a rich fiber food that contains various types of vitamins. Besides that, beets also contain magnesium, sodium, phosphorus, calcium, and niacin.
- Our body needs folic acid to produce new cells and maintain current body cells. Beets contain sufficient amounts of folic acids to make them an ideal food for any human.
- Recent research proves that beets provide resistance against all types of cancer including colon cancer.
- Other studies have revealed that beets also provide resistance against various heart problems.
- Beets are not seasonal, so you can get fresh beets all year long.
- You can eat beets raw as well as cooking them by boiling, steaming, or sauteing. You can also use the juice of beets.
- The leaves of the raw beets are also useful for human health. In ancient times, the leaves of beets were used to heal the wounds.
- The color of beets is naturally bright red which gives a refreshing look at the food. This red color of beets is because of a pigment named betacyanin present in the beets, and this is the pigment that helps the human body to develop resistance against cancer.
These are just a few countless benefits of using beets in your daily diet. Beets are also considered extremely effective for weight loss, so if you are looking for a diet that keeps you feeling fuller the whole day without adding too many calories to your body, beets are the right choice.