Precautionary measures to follow while using Acuvue Oasys contact lenses
Many people all over the world are relying on contact lenses for vision correction as well as for cosmetic purposes. No matter, whether you are using biweekly disposables or a monthly replacement contacts, taking necessary precautions is highly recommended by eye care professionals to ensure safe and secure use of contact lenses.
It is mandatory for every lens wearer to read all the precautions and understand the methods of usage before buying them to prevent damage to contact lenses as well as to the eyes.
Among many other contact lenses that are available today, Acuvue Oasys from Johnson and Johnson is one of the widely used brands for vision correction. However, patients who are using Acuvue Oasys have to follow certain precautionary measures to sustain the crisp and clear vision acuity.
Some of the cautions to exercise while using Acuvue Oasys contact lenses are stated below:
1) Avoid using Acuvue Oasys if you have any one of the following conditions:
- Redness of the eye associated with pain or discomfort in and around the eye area
- Infection or irritation making the contact lenses wear uncomfortable
- Any previously diagnosed eye disease or extreme dryness
- Allergic to lens material or lens care solutions
2) Dispose of Acuvue Oasys contact lenses as per replacement schedule:
Another important caution to exercise while using Acuvue Oasys contact lenses is avoiding the use of lenses beyond the recommended period. To enjoy clean and fresh optical vision it is very important to replace your contact lenses on regular basis as recommended by your Optician. Discarding the lens as per the time schedule will not only reduce the problems related to protein deposits but keeps the eyes away from infections.
3) Acuvue Oasys contact lenses are not substitutes for protective UV absorbing eyewear:
Even though Acuvue Oasys protect the eyes from harmful UV radiation, they are not perfect substitutes for UV absorbing sunglasses or eye goggles. As these contact lenses do not cover the complete eye and surrounding area, people should continue wearing UV absorbing eyewear in order to avoid the risk of developing cataracts and other eye disorders.
4) Do not use the old or expired prescriptions:
This is the most essential caution to exercise while using Acuvue Oasys contact lenses because as per UK regulations all contact lens prescriptions expire after a certain period. If you have been wearing the same contact lenses for long time, then it is advisable to have your eyes checked and get a new prescription instead of using an old one.
5) Lens wearing precautions:
- To avoid the dust particles getting into the eyes, always wash and dry your hands thoroughly while inserting and removing the lens
- Hold the lens in the correct way while inserting them to prevent irritation and damage
- Carefully read and follow the wearing instructions as advised on the contact lens package
- Never use any tools or tweezers to remove your lenses and avoid touching them with your fingernails
- Do not expose contact lenses to water during swimming or in a hot tub or while taking bath as it may increase the risk of eye infections.
6) Keep the lens clean and disinfected:
- The important caution to exercise while using Acuvue Oasys contact lenses is to use an approved lens solution recommended by your Optician. It is not safe to mix and match different lens care products with different contact lenses.
- Always follow the instructions given on the Acuvue Oasys package and use the recommended solutions for lubricating or wetting the contact lenses. Do not use expired lens care solution as it may cause infection or irritation in your eyes.
- When you are not wearing the lenses, always place them in the recommended storage solution to keep them soft and clean. Unnecessary exposure to air for extended periods can make these lenses hard and dry.