Falling ill when you are on holiday can really ruin your experience and many people find that they contract bacterial infections such as Campylobacter, Salmonella, and E. Coli while abroad. Not getting the right vaccinations prior to traveling can also lead to serious illnesses such as tetanus, malaria, or polio. So if you want to have the best holiday and avoid falling ill here are the 10 ways to stay healthy on holiday.
- Only ever drink water that has come from a sealed bottle as this will help you to avoid being ill from contaminated water which is used in jugs in hotels and many restaurants.
- Don’t have ice in your drinks as this will be tap water which can contain bacteria that can quickly make you very ill and unwell.
- Make sure that you have the correct vaccinations for the area that you are traveling to. Discuss your holiday with your GP and he or she will tell you which vaccinations you need to have and when you should have them.
- Don’t ever swim in a dirty swimming pool as this can contain the cryptosporidium parasite which can make you very ill. If the pool is there to make sure you report it to a member of staff or your rep.
- Never eat meat that is undercooked and avoid food that has been left out for a long time or has been reheated. So pay close attention to the food that is on a buffet in the hotel that you are staying in.
- Avoid getting drunk as this can cause you to become dehydrated very quickly which can make you feel terrible. When you are drunk you are also at more of a risk of tripping or falling.
- When you are on your flight drink lots of water to keep you hydrated.
- If you are on a long flight make sure you move around as you could be at risk from deep vein thrombosis, something that can happen even on short flights.
- As tasty as it might seem you should avoid food that is being sold by vendors on the streets as this can be undercooked and contain bacteria and parasites.
- Stay out of the sun when it is high in the sky – usually between the hours of noon and three. Make sure that you apply plenty of sun lotion of the block and this will help to prevent sunstroke and burns.
Contracting sickness at your holiday hotel can mean the rest of your holiday is spent in bed or in the bathroom. One of the things you can claim your money back from is the loss of enjoyment, which you’ll certainly have if you’ve spent your holiday indoors.