In Colorado, there are numerous laws and statutes that protect pedestrians and cyclists from automobiles. But in order for those laws to hold weight in a court of law, there are certain requirements that must be met by the cyclist. Some are better known than others, but it is important to be aware of as many of the laws as possible in order to best protect yourself in the event of an accident.
Every person riding a bicycle have all the rights and duties applicable to the driver of any other vehicle. These laws must be followed when using streets and highways within incorporated cities and towns. So to better understand these laws, the following will be set up in a list form in which it should be easy to browse through and memorize individually. So without further ado, here are many of the cycling laws that must be followed by Colorado cyclists.
1. No bicycle shall be used to carry more people than are intended by it’s design.
2. No person riding a bicycle can attach themselves to another motor vehicle upon any roadway.
3. If a cyclist is going slower than the designated speed limit, they must ride in the right hand land. If riding in the right hand lane, the cyclist must allow enough space for motor vehicles to pass.
4. A bicyclist is not expected to ride through dangerous parts of the roadway where parked vehicles, pedestrians and other hazardous obstacles remain.
5. A cyclist riding in a one-way lane with two or more marked traffic lanes can ride on the left-hand side nearest the curb if the left hand lane is wide enough to be shared with motor traffic.
6. When cycling with a partner, you are not allowed to ride abreast unless there are designated cycling lanes. If riding abreast, cyclists are not allowed to impede traffic in any way.
7. Every cyclist must at least have one hand on the handlebar at all times.
8. If making a left hand turn, the cyclist must remain as close to the right hand side. When proceeding to turn left, cyclists are beholden to the same laws as any other motorist.
9. Cyclists must follow alternative routes when they are signaled to. Meaning cyclists cannot go where vehicles are not allowed to go on a roadway.
10. If a cyclist intends to turn or stop, they must use the proper hand signals to alert other motorists.
11. If a cyclist is riding on a sidewalk or pathway, they are required to yield the right of away to any pedestrian, and if coming upon a pedestrian, they neeed to give an audible signal before passing to alert them.
12. If a sign, or local ordnances say that no bikes are allowed on sidewalks and pathways, cyclists must remain on the roadway.
13. Bicycles can be parked anywhere in public that a sign does not signify otherwise.
14. If a cyclist is on a sidewalk, they can in no way impede movement of pedestrians.
15. Motorists passing cyclists must pass to the left and give adequate room, and when returning to the right, must only do so when enough space is able.
16. All motorists must provide at least 3 feet to cyclists while on the road. That means when in passing or behind them.
17. When passing a cyclists, motorists are not allowed to speed up, but must remain at a constant speed until in front of the cyclist.
18. Between sunset and sunrise, or when conditions make it so you cannot see one thousand feet ahead of you, every motorist and cyclist must display lights or illuminating devices to increase visibility of their presence. If it is an illuminating light, they must point towards the ground and not into incoming traffic.
19. Cyclists must stop and give way to pedestrian crossings just as motorists do when the lights or other signs are activated.
20. Cyclists may not enter a roadway improperly such that it creates a hazardous situation. Essentially meaning that cyclists cannot enter a roadway from a curbside, but must do so at an intersection.
Hopefully this will have educated both cyclists and motorists alike in cycling laws. Remember to share the road and be considerate of one another. Accidents between cyclists and motorists occur everyday, and sadly many result in death. If a motorist is the cause of an accident, which results in death, wrongful death suits can be claimed. So be safe, and be mindful!