It is advised and recommended by every doctor that it is of utmost importance to try and start walking soon after a surgery or a leg injury. Saying that it’s not always possible to do so without support while your legs are healing. This is where an adult walker comes into the picture, which is known to give you all the support required to help you in your pursuit to start walking again.
Basic features of a walker:
Walkers come in many types and its advised to consult with your surgeon or the therapist who can guide you with the appropriate walker which shall suit your condition the best:
- To begin with, some walkers have two or four wheels while some are without wheels, one can select depending on the requirement of an individual.
- Some walkers are designed with brakes while some are also equipped with a carrying basket, let alone a sitting bench.
- Considering the ease and convenience to users, almost every walker can be folded to transport it easily.
Guide to using a walker:
The below points are some of the basic and few safety tips to remember and apply while using a walker:
- The essential tip to remember, when you start walking, always start with the weaker leg or the leg which you had the surgery on.
- At the time of climbing a step or curb, you should start with your stronger leg, and while stepping down, always be cautious to start with the weaker leg.
- Make sure that you avoid stepping too close to the front wheels or tips (depending on the type of walker you are using) to maintain the balance while walking and prevent any falling mishaps. One should make sure to keep the floors clean and dry to avoid slipping.
- Remember to replace the tips or wheels of your walker when worn out. You can always check with your nearest medical supply store for replacements.
- It is advised to avoid using stairs or escalators without seeking permission from your physical therapist as there is proper training required to do so.
With the help of enhanced medical interventions, we can live a life with ease and convenience, even when we have just gone through surgery. A walker is the perfect example of one of the helpful tools which have been helping a lot of people in need. You can always take the help of a walker to get back to your feet and start walking again until your leg is back to its normal and healthy condition.