The Americans famously enjoy teasing us Brits about our terrible teeth, and it’s certainly true that our friends across the pond are known for their pearly whites and dazzling smiles. You don’t have to go all the way to California to get the Hollywood look, however – here are some top tips to achieve not only a bright smile, but a healthy one that avoids the dreaded visits to the dentist’s chair.
1. Check-ups with your dentist every 6 months (or once a year, minimum) are crucial in keeping your mouth healthy and for being alerted to any problems. Make an appointment with your hygienist too, for a good descaling of your teeth.
2. Avoid staining. Some foods and drinks tend to stain our teeth, so while you don’t have to completely avoid them, be aware that tea, coffee, red wine and tobacco are bad for a spotless smile. Try chewing gum (sugar free ideally), drinking water or brushing your teeth afterwards.
3. Floss, floss, floss and floss again. Flossing is incredibly important for maintaining a healthy grin. After all, there’s no point in keeping the front and back of your teeth clean if you ignore the sides. Flossing is crucial in stopping pockets of decay building up and keeping your gums in good condition. If you struggle with traditional floss, try flossing wands to get between those tricky molars.
4. Say no to sugary foods. Everyone knows that sugar is bad for your teeth, and that to prevent tooth decay it’s best to avoid sugar or make sure you brush your teeth after indulging. Watch out though: never brush your teeth before eating something sugary, as you will be exposing your teeth more to the sugar. Too much sugar also breaks down the level of fluoride in your mouth, essential for keeping your teeth strong, so this should be consumed in moderation.
5. Get an electric toothbrush for the ultimate in deep clean. An electric toothbrush will help you get your teeth sparkling clean in half the time of a manual one. For the latest in toothbrush technology, try the range from Philips Sonicare at Kandco.com, giving you healthier and more beautiful teeth for just a pound a week. Alot of modern toothbrushes have various settings to suit how and where you want to brush. There are some very reasonably priced ones out there, so you don’t need to break the bank to get the smile you want.
This is a guest post by Elly, who has a passion for writing about Fashion, Beauty & Lifestyle across the world. She also tweets regularly on the latest updates in the fashion and retail industry, which can be found here (@Russell_Elly).