While it is always great to run outside, it is hard to beat a treadmill when it comes to burning fat. The controlled conditions it provides allow an arsenal of options to optimize your exercise regimen. Add their safety and versatility, and you have a combination that is hard to beat. Here are five of the top reasons why treadmills are the best choice for burning fat:
1. More Options Than You Can Imagine – The great thing about the treadmill is you can alter the intensity of your workout at the drop of a hat. You can control your speed and incline as you see fit. Not everyone has ready access to a hill for running or walking. Even if you do it might be too big, too short, too steep, or not steep enough. With a treadmill, you can set the incline exactly to the level that is best for you. In addition, the ability to increase your pace in the small intervals that a treadmill provides is unfeasible to do by brainpower alone.
2. Workout Programs That Push You – What is nice about the treadmill is that if you are not prepared to push yourself, the treadmill will. Custom workout programs will challenge you to keep up. With treadmills offering a large variety of workout programs, you can keep that gym membership money, avoid boredom, and guarantee an intense workout in the confines of your own home.
3. Body Monitoring and Progress Charting – With a treadmill, you are provided a log of how many calories you have burned, your body fat percentage, and your heart rate. Having an accurate estimation of your heart rate will allow you to effectively incorporate interval training into your routine. As far as fat burning goes, few things can compare to high-intensity interval training, and the only way to guarantee it is completely effective is by knowing your heart rate. Additionally, being able to see your weight, workout length, and burned calories on a day-to-day basis will show you your progress and help you to stay motivated.
4. You Can Run without Fear of Injury – Running can be tough on your body, but the cushioned running surface of a treadmill will severely reduce the damage that running can potentially do on your joints. Some treadmills even allow you to fine-tune the amount of shock they absorb. Additionally, a 2008 study in the “Journal of Bone and Mineral Metabolism” found that weight-bearing exercises such as running or walking on a treadmill can increase bone density.
5. You Won’t Be Held Back by the Environment – Most people would agree that running in the cold is not a fun time. On the other side of things, running in hot conditions puts you at risk of dehydration and heatstroke. Additionally, poorly paved roads, potholes, traffic, and pedestrians can all potentially ruin your running flow. On a treadmill, you can simply relax and listen to some music or watch some TV.