Having bruises, especially on visible areas of your skin, such as on the arms, legs, or face, can negatively impact your overall appearance and confidence. As a beauty-conscious person, aside from undertaking proper treatment, it’s essential to learn how to cover up a bruise to reduce or eliminate its appearance. This way, you’ll go about your normal day-to-day activities without feeling any inhibition.
The following are some useful tips on how to cover up a bruise:
First, before you even start covering up your bruise, you need to take measures to promote its healing. If the bruise is located on the arm or leg, you can raise or elevate the bruised area to reduce blood flow. For a facial bruise, you can use a pillow to prop your head. Applying ice or a cold pack on the bruise, especially during the first one or two days, will also be very helpful in minimizing the amount of blood getting to the injured tissues.
Additional steps that you can take to fasten the healing process include resting, taking a pain reliever to alleviate pain and swelling, as well as covering the bruise with a bandage. If the condition of the bruise becomes worse, you should immediately consult your doctor for treatment.
Tips on How to Cover Up a Bruise Using Makeup
1. Get an appropriate concealer. Choose a fragrance-free, hypoallergenic concealer that features a yellow-green shade. Cosmetic concealers with a yellow base come with the thickest consistency, which makes them quite useful in covering up bruises completely. Furthermore, the yellow color counteracts the characteristic blue discoloring of most bruises. But if your bruise has got another color tone, you need to use a concealer that offsets the differing bruise hues. For example, if you have a yellow bruise, you can hide it with a lavender-based concealer. A brown bruise can be adequately covered with a white-based cosmetic, while green-based concealers work great for red bruises.
2. Ensure your skin is not broken. Concealers should not be applied to broken or stitched skin. So ensure that there aren’t any cuts or nicks on your bruise.
3. Apply your concealer. Get a good concealer brush and use it to apply the preparation. While at it, avoid pressing too hard – as it’ll only make it worse. Next, use your fingertip to blend the concealer in with the surrounding skin gently.
Then, check the result in the mirror and repeat the procedure if the bruise is still visible.
4. Apply foundation over the concealer. After applying the concealer, get a foundation that perfectly matches the color hue of your skin and place in over the “concealed” bruise.
5. Dust translucent powder over the makeup. This will keep the concealer and the foundation in place.
Tips on How to Cover Up a Bruise Using Clothes
Lastly, if your bruise is located on the leg, arm, or neck, you can successfully cover it using clothes and accessories. Opaque tights, pantyhose, and long pants, skirts, or socks can hide any bruises you might have on the legs. You can use long-sleeved tops and wristbands to cover bruises on the arms.