Many people suffer from a deodorant allergy, which can be irritating, painful and very inconvenient. The symptoms that they will experience vary in severity but can include an itchy rash along with redness and swelling of the skin; blisters; dry and flaking skin that eventually becomes raw; blisters; hives; and broken and weeping skin. It is fair to say that a deodorant allergy is not a pleasant experience for anyone.
Every deodorant contains a number of ingredients to help the wearer prevent body odor and reduce the amount that they sweat. A deodorant allergy occurs when the body reacts to one of the substances and the immune systems decide that the substance in question is hostile and that it needs to defend against it. It does this by releasing a number of chemicals into the area, including histamines, and this is what causes an allergic reaction. A deodorant allergy is not only caused by someone using a new product and in fact is more commonly caused by an existing product and a build up of the allergen over a long period of time. The most common allergen that people react to is fragrances. Even deodorants that say they are un-perfumed may contain some fragrance to mask the smell of another ingredient.
Someone that knows they have a deodorant allergy will have to make sure that they avoid a specific product or ingredient that causes the allergic reaction. For some people this is relatively easy because it relates to a single product. However for others it will be more difficult to identify the allergen and may require them to visit their doctor or dermatologist for a patch test. This involves them putting tiny amounts of a substance onto the patient’s skin and measuring the reaction. It is relatively painless and the patient may experience a little soreness or itching on the small area of skin being tested, but that will fade within 30 minutes to an hour once the test has been completed.
The main forms of treatment that people use when they are having an allergic reaction to deodorant include the dual use of an over the counter topical cortisone cream and an oral anti-histamine tablet, both of which can be brought direct from the local pharmacy. The first thing that a person should do is gently clean the affected area of skin to make sure that no trace of the allergen remains using warm water and fragrance free soap or detergent. They then need to allow the affected area to dry completely but should refrain from using a towel, which could be too coarse. A soft clean dry cloth is preferable, either that or let the area air dry. Then spread the cortisone cream over the skin, which should offer immediate relief from itching and soreness. Oral anti-histamines will slow down the immune systems production of histamine and stop the reaction becoming worse. If the skin is broken and weeping then it is advisable to seek medical attention as soon as possible to prevent infection from setting in and if someone is suffering from hives then they should also seek the advice of their doctor before starting any over the counter treatments.