If we talk about earlier days the access to pornography wasn’t that much easy as compared to today. In recent times, the advancements in technology and moreover, with the advent of the Internet, pornography is available to anyone at whatever time or location they choose to access it. If we believe in statistics then about 50 million people visit an adult site every day out of which most are teens and adults in their early twenties. With habitual pornography use, come serious mental health consequences like anxiety, depression, and problems in relationships.
If you as a parent feel that your child is increasingly getting anxious and disconnected from the social environment then excessive pornography could be the culprit. According to various surveys, employees have confessed to viewing this kind of content during their work hours even though they are at a risk of losing their jobs. Software such as parental control for Android, iOS, MAC or Windows is being used by parents to monitor their child’s online activities. Even managers of an organization, in some countries, use the same software to check on the online activities of their employees.
Effect of Viewing Excessive Pornography on Brain
Pornography is addictive just like any other drug. The only difference is that instead of ingesting it through the mouth or inhaling through the nose a person sees it through their eyes and listens to it through their ears.
Pornography stimulates the reward and pleasure center of our brain thereby increasing the production of dopamine which is a feel-good chemical and body’s way of rewarding itself. Over time, viewing excessive pornography leads to a development of a layer of Delta FOS B on the brain which, according to scientists, is a molecular level switch of addiction. It becomes increasingly hard to refrain from watching porn thereafter.
Effect of Viewing Excessive Pornography on Mental Health
Psychologists and therapists categorize this kind of addiction as same like addiction to drugs as it has similar effects on our mental and physical health.
- Pornography, definitely, causes behavioral and psychological changes making a person more impulsive in their attitude.
- The compulsive mental demand of watching an adult content makes a person disconnect themselves from their social life and ultimately they falls into depression, anxiety, and
- A person feels shame in sharing their problem with closed ones or even a therapist and tries to get out of the addiction by own self. Though it is not impossible but constant relapses and failures often make a person believe that they can’t do it.
- Eventually, a person starts to miss out making real connections in society and relying on the fake pleasure that pornography provides.
- The inability to refrain from watching it often makes a person miss out on important tasks and consequently, a person keeps falling prey to the addiction.
Conclusion: How to Overcome Pornography Addiction?
The first and foremost is a self-confession from the person that is actually suffering from a problem. A meaningful interaction with a close friend or a therapist, definitely, helps to move forward towards healing and getting rid of this non-drug addiction of watching pornography.
Image Credits: Flickr