Sexually transmitted diseases have been a part of the human experience since the dawn of time. People believed a lot of strange and dangerous things before human beings understood microbiology and began making widespread education on germ theory important.
People used to suffer greatly and die from many sexually transmitted diseases that we now have the ability to treat. Some STDs have degenerative and permanent effects, so seek testing and treatment right away if you think you might have a sexually transmitted disease.
Facts From Then
Here are some STD facts to remember:
- Ancient Egyptians had extensive knowledge of infections, including sexually transmitted diseases.
- A long time ago, mercury was used as a treatment for sexually transmitted diseases. It is a common belief that Mozart died from mercury treatments when doctors were attempting to cure him of syphilis.
- Italy experienced a terrifying syphilis outbreak in 1494. Because this sweeping epidemic happened before antibiotics were available, it was contracted by many people who died inside a few months as their faces, limbs, and genitals rotted off. Historical depictions allege that many rotting syphilis victims wandered the streets.
- Epidemiology (the study of disease conditions) analysis indicates syphilis never existed in Europe before being brought by discoverers returning from Columbus’ voyages.
STD Awareness Now
Due to advancements in science, we understand now that sexually transmitted diseases not only exist, but that there are ways to increase and decrease the likelihood of contracting them. Somehow, despite campaigns and programs to promote education about sexually transmitted diseases and how to have safer sex, STD rates have been rising (as of 2014) in many areas in America, including Los Angeles County.
It is possible that this is due to the recent popularity of online dating and casual encounters apps. People are still engaging in unsafe sexual behaviors even though they know about sexually transmitted diseases and how to avoid them while enjoying sex.
Here are some other facts:
- In addition to many other places, STD testing in Phoenix has increased in recent months. More people are having symptoms and expressing concerns about their bodies.
- There are at-home STD test kits that can be ordered online and shipped to your house. Send a sample to the company’s lab and get your results within days. These kits are convenient and discreet, but have a lower accuracy percentage than properly administered clinical testing.
- According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, no less than 24,000 women become infertile every year due to sexually transmitted diseases.
Enjoying Sex Safely
Prevention of sexually transmitted diseases can be done in many ways. There are a variety of methods to protect yourself and your partners during sex:.
- Get vaccinated for hepatitis B and HPV.
- Be conscious of the number of sexual partners you have and how you sexually engage with people when you know you or they have an STD.
- Engage in mutually monogamous sexual relationships.
- Use protective films like condoms, dental dams and gloves.
- And of course: Abstinence is a great way to avoid contracting any sexually transmitted diseases. You cannot catch an STD if you are not having sex.
Important To Remember
Always be conscious of what you are doing with your body. Stay educated and aware of common disease risks and vectors. Sex can be really great when it is approached with a conscientious mindset. It can also be terrifying and painful to suffer from a sexually transmitted disease.
Take responsibility for your sexual autonomy and take care of your body so you can enjoy it for the rest of your life.