During the growing period of children, there might be some conditions that can happen and which can either be corrected fully or partially. If one waits for complete growth then it is not necessary that the same condition can be corrected. It can later turn out to be a complex process.
Besides, being a pediatric patient, the bone structure may not be that rigid as the structure of an adult bone which is why treatment becomes easy to tolerate. The best age to begin with the treatment can differ as per the individual. However, it is at a young age when the treatment and care be taken. That is when pediatric orthodontics comes into action. Ideally, the first visit to such an expert can be between 7 to 8 years of age.
There is never a right time to get an appointment for younger kids’ examinations. It is important to make the right time. There are so many patients who yearly come up with a unique problem of orthodontics and considerations of growth. Usually, kids at the age of 6 years have molars whole.
Those at the age of 4 to 8 are having growth of the jaw or getting their baby teeth failing. The treatment from an orthodontist can help to monitor the development and growth of the kid. It also improves the problems of jaw and tooth alignment at quite an early age. However, the best age to begin with the treatment while getting some time for improvement is the early age and the growing phase in which the kid can be at present.
What is pediatric orthodontics?
In the field of dentistry, Paediatric orthodontics is related to the teeth. This means those having poorly positioned teeth can get the treatment from such experts who would focus on correcting them. The use of applications like removable devices and fixed braces is done for better results.
- Fixed appliances: This is one of the most common sections of braces in which there are brackets placed on every tooth for correcting the problems associated with dental crowding or bite. There are also ceramic and metal braces. The latter however is quite aesthetic as it blends well with tooth color.
- Removable appliances: Such an application is made of acrylic and can help in correcting palette and bite issues. It comes with a clear plastic aligner that can fit well over the teeth. However, it must be worn for some hours only for better effect.
Why is such treatment done?
Orthodontics can be effective if it is done in childhood. Since the structure of the bones around the teeth area is at the developing stage, this is the best time to get started. It can also detect and correct the issues that are related to the maxillary bones from quite an early stage before they are completely developed.
Once the childhood phase passes, the structure of the bone on the face can only be changed with orthognathic surgery. This is usually done along with orthodontic surgery and is done on adults who have quite developed bone around the jaws.
What does the treatment involve?
Dentists advise kids to have their first dental check at the age of 6 and post that after every 6 months the check-up should be done for the growth evaluation of the milk teeth and maxillary bones. Between the age of 8 to 10, the milk teeth usually lose and are replaced by adult ones. In this span, the dentist determines whether the kid needs orthodontic treatment or not.
If the kid needs orthodontic treatment, then a mold of the bone from their maxillary part will be used for making the dental appliance. While the treatment is in process, the kid can have a regular consultation appointment for evaluating the progress of the treatment. In case necessary appliances must be used for tightening or further adjustments need to be done, it will be respectively done.
In general, kids don’t really have to make their minds about orthodontic treatment. This treatment does not include any kind of surgery or the specific area to be prepared over the other dental hygiene. But in some cases, like gingivitis or caries, there needs to be first a consultation done.
Care posts the intervention
Once the treatment is done then the pediatric orthodontics will be able to remove the appliance. There are some cases where a fixed retainer may be implanted. This is usually put behind the teeth so that it will not move when the appliance of orthodontic is removed
Advantages Of Evaluation Done by Paediatric Orthodontic Following Treatment
As per the AAO which is popularly referred to as the American Association of Orthodontists1, it clearly shows that programs should arrange for the kid’s orthodontic assessment to understand the condition. If timely action is taken then the following benefits are availed such as:
- The damage risk of protruding front teeth is less
- Their oral habits are rectified
- The facial appearance is preserved
- The jaw growth gets better guidance
- There will be better working on the speech issues
- The problem of grinding teeth can be controlled on time.
Types Of Paediatric Orthodontic Treatment
The structure of the bone among kids is not rigid as compared to the adults. Usually, the pediatric orthodontist can treat the problems associated with the kid’s jaw at a growing age. There are different treatments that are usually undertaken by such experts. This includes:
- Braces: This option is available in different types like brackets, bands, and wires. Nowadays, there are braces that are more comfortable and less obstructive.
- Aligners: This is an alternative to traditional braces where cleaner plastic aligners such as Invisalign Teen are used which is invisible but better.
- Fixed or removable Appliances: It helps in improving the teeth of the kid, growth of the jaw and muscles.
It is always better to consult experienced pediatric orthodontics for protecting the kids’ beaming smiles and thus maintain their self-confidence. Besides, such an expert makes sure there are different wealth benefits that a kid gets along with the good function of teeth and jaw.