Heroin addiction as we all know is one of the greatest evils of our modern-day society which houses the potential of derailing the life of an individual from the track towards growth and prosperity. But, a large number of treatment options including both pharmacological and behavioral approaches are also available for helping those in needs to gain an edge over heroin addiction like a pro. These approaches decrease the risk of succumbing to diseases such as HIV or committing criminal behavior by increasing employment rates as both brain function and behavior benefits from the restoration of a degree of normalcy. Both these treatment methods are found to be extremely beneficial when used in stand-alone modes, but can also yield ground-breaking results when used in collaboration with each other.
- Pharmacological Treatment
People can be seen undergoing painful withdrawal symptoms which might take the form of nausea, diarrhea and vomiting when they proceed towards an opioids free life. Medications can be of great help to keep the craving under control in this stage as the patient’s body undergoes a detoxifying process.
- Behavioral Treatment
Both residential and outpatient settings can suffice for the effective behavioral treatments which have been made available for overcoming heroin addiction.
- Outpatient Behavioral Treatment – When somebody has been enrolled under this treatment, he shall be required to visit the health counselor on a regular basis. The outpatient behavioral treatment can take up the following forms:
- Multidimensional Family therapy, which is developed especially for adolescents facing substance addiction issues. This program takes into account even the extended family and friends circle of the one affected to address specific patterns which can improve the overall family functioning.
- Cognitive behavioral therapy to help patients distinguish, circumvent and survive against various situations which crop up every now and then coercing them to submit towards substance abuse.
- Motivational incentives encourage drug abstinence by using positive reinforcement.
- Motivational interviewing accentuates the readiness of people to bring about a change in their behavior and say yes to treatment.
Primarily, treatments can be of the intensive nature requiring the patient to attend numerous outpatient sessions every week. On completion of the intensive program, the patient is again advised to take up regular outpatient treatment which does not require frequent physician visits and prolonged therapy hours. Mobile application reset® has been opened for public access since September 2017 for easing out outpatient treatment procedures and gaining an edge over marijuana, cocaine, alcohol and other stimulant substances.
- Residential or Inpatient Treatment – This treatment form can be extremely effective in patients suffering from co-occurring disorders. Round the clock intensive and structured care in available in the licensed facilities which guarantee complete medical attention and safe housing. An array of therapeutic approaches is applied in the residential treatment facilities which aim in unison to help the patient live a crime-free and drug-free lifestyle post treatment. Some examples of settings for residential treatment are as follows:
- Shorter-term residential treatment focusing on initial intensive counselling as well as detoxification program. It also prepares the person trying to win over substance abuse by acclimatizing him with the treatment module in a community based setting.
- Therapeutic communities are highly structured programs where patients have to stay in a residential facility for 6 to 12 months. Everyone ranging from the recovery professionals to treatment staff has a crucial role to play in influencing the attitudes of patients by understanding their behaviour in regards to drug usage.
- Recovery Housing provides short-term yet supervised housing for patients which can aid in bringing about an easy transition to an independent life. Such programs teach them, how to seek employment and manage finances to make them well-braced for taking on the future challenges which life has to offer.
Off-late another treatment mode has also gained widespread adulation and that is the harm reduction process which aims to reduce the economic, social and health-related consequences of substance abuse. This treatment mode believes that completely cutting off drugs won’t bring along a real solution. Rather, administering the same in a safe and secured environment will minimize the risk of HIV contraction or overdose. The final strategy is deployed will depend upon the specific drug used, its harmful effects and the person consuming the same.