What is Psoriasis?
Psoriasis is a term describing a condition of chronic skin disorder that affects more than 3% of population in the US. In detail, the disease brings along itchy, reddish spots, sore and thick patches, which usually appear on the scalp, face, palms, back, elbows, knees, and other parts of the body.
Psoriasis can be seen as one of autoimmune disease, in which the immune system goes wrong and attacks healthy cells. As a result, new skin cells will quickly rise to the surface of your skin. This process only takes a few days instead of a month as normal.
Symptoms of Psoriasis
It is not easy to diagnose psoriasis unless your doctor takes a skin sample to examine under a microscope. This is due to the fact that the condition may have symptoms that look like other skin diseases such as itchiness, dry skin, pain, inflammation, etc.
Although psoriasis does not exclude anyone, it is likely to occur mostly in adults, both males and females.
Causes of Psoriasis
There are a number of factors that can trigger the condition of psoriasis, including dry skin, sunburn, excessive consumption of alcohol and smoking, stress, bacteria, fungus and virus. Also, there are some certain types of medication can cause psoriasis such as beta-blockers and ibuprofen. The condition sometimes passes down in family.
Psoriasis is likely to last for a long time, even a lifetime. Although there is no exact cure for the disease, you still can manage the condition and minimize its effect by some simple treatments that only use natural ingredients around your house.
Here are top 14 effective home remedies for psoriasis that you should take into consideration to instantly improve the condition by promoting immunity and skin health…
1. Ice Pack
A cold therapy is recommended as a natural and simple treatment of psoriasis since it can reduce itchiness, irritation and pain. The cold also has a great effect on inflammation of the skin.
- Wrap some ice cubes in a clean towel
- Apply the ice bag directly onto the skin for some minutes
- Do this several times a day to ease the symptoms of psoriasis
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is highly effective in treating many skin disorders, which have symptoms such as itchiness, pain, infection, etc. This is why you should apply it to make home remedies for psoriasis. By balancing the pH level of the skin, the liquid will help reduce the inflammation and ease the nerve. Besides, this vinegar can also eliminate bacteria and virus, one of the main causes of psoriasis.
- Dissolve a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar into a cup of water and consume. Do this twice daily to quickly get rid of symptoms of psoriasis.
- Alternatively, mix the apple cider vinegar and water together in the ratio of 1:3. Use a clean cloth to dip into the solution then apply it onto the affected area. Finally, rinse off with water. Do this 2-3 times a day or whenever you get a flare-up.
3. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera has never let you down whenever it comes to skin problems. Besides providing you a quick relief from the irritation and pain, Aloe Vera also accelerates the healing process of the skin.
- Take an Aloe Vera leaf and cup it open
- Get the gel inside and apply it directly on the affected area
- Leave it for a few hours before washing off
- Repeat this 3 times a day until you see improvement
The ability to nourish the skin by moisturizing the skin and reducing inflammation makes oatmeal one of the best ingredients used to make home remedies for psoriasis. By applying this method, you will promptly feel relieved as it helps soften the skin and ease the pain.
- Prepare a bathtub with warm water and a cup of oatmeal. Soak your body there for at least 15 minutes then wash off. After it gets dry, moisturize your skin with lotion or cream.
- Alternatively, you can use a piece of muslin cloth to wrap some rolled oats then put it into a bathtub with hot water. After the water become milky, add some cold water to adjust the temperature that you feel comfortable. Soak your body in the bathtub for 10-15 minutes and use the oat bag to gently rub on your body. Wash off again with clean water, dry and moisturize your skin.
- Do this on daily basis until your see improvement
5. Olive Oil
Olive oil has always been a good friend of not only women but also men in treatments for skin health. By softening the skin, the oil helps to make a great home remedy for psoriasis when reducing flaking and scaling on the skin.
- Slightly warm up some olive oil and apply it onto the skin 2-3 times a days. After a few hours, wash off with clean water.
- For better effect, you can add into it 1 drop of oregano oil and 2 drops of calendula oil then apply the mixture onto the affected skin. After a couple of hour, rinse off the area with clean water. Do this 2-3 times a day to improve the condition.
6. Epsom Salt
When it comes to skin diseases, Epsom salt will always be one of the first choices for natural treatments. In this case, Epsom salt makes an ideal home remedy for psoriasis by reducing irritated feeling, inflammation and softening the skin. Furthermore, the salt is also a great solution for relaxation and detoxification.
- Add 2 cups of Epsom salt into a warm bathtub
- Soak your body therefore some minutes
- Use a towel to dry your skin completely and apply lotion or cream to moisturize the skin
- Do this several times a week
Garlic has been so well known for its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that it becomes a trusted ingredient in various treatments for skin disorders. Besides topical application, consuming garlic is also a great way to purify blood and prevent the psoriasis exacerbation.
- Mix garlic oil and Aloe Vera gel together with the same amount. Use the mixture to apply onto the affected skin. After some minutes, wash it off with clean water. Do this on daily to quickly eliminate psoriasis.
- At the same times, it is advisable to consume 2-3 garlic cloves or garlic supplement.
With anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, turmeric is as popular as garlic in treating skin diseases. In case of home remedies for psoriasis, the ingredient can deal with inflammation and inhibit the enzyme called phosphorylases used to promote cells growth.
- Add more turmeric into your daily meal or make a beverage with it by adding some turmeric powder and honey into a cup of hot milk.
- For topical application, make a paste from turmeric and water then apply it onto the affected skin. Cover the area overnight and rinse off in the next morning. Do this every day to improve the condition quickly.
Note: In case of gallbladder disorders, diabetes and blood clots, you have to consult a doctor before consuming turmeric.
To make a great home remedy for psoriasis, you can also use glycerin as a useful ingredient as it helps to moisturize the skin and ensure a proper maturation of the skin.
- Use glycerin to directly apply onto the affected skin. Let it sit on for couples of hours before washing off.
- Do this daily until the condition improves.
Licorice is one of effective solutions for many skin diseases, including eczema, rosacea and psoriasis is no exception. This is thanks to a compound in the ingredient called glycyrrhizin, which is responsible for reducing itchiness and irritation. Into the bargain, licorice also contains anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that properly reduce inflammation and nourish the skin.
- Add 2 teaspoon of dried licorice root into water then boil. Let it simmer for 40 minutes then leave it cool down. Use a cloth to apply the liquid onto the affected area a few times a day to minimize the effect of psoriasis.
- Alternatively, put some licorice roots into a jar and pour in some olive oil. Cover it and heat it up for couples of hours or simple leave it for 6 weeks. Strain the mixture and use the oil to apply onto the affected areas. Let it sit for couple of hours before wash it off with clean water. Repeat the steps 2-3 times a day.
11. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is another ingredient used to make a natural treatment of psoriasis by moisturizing and softening the skin. As a result, you will get a relief from itchiness, dryness and sore on skin. Furthermore, the oil also speeds up the healing and manages the psoriasis exacerbation.
- After bathing, dry your skin completely then apply coconut oil as moisturizer
- Do this 3-4 times a day for a few weeks
Chamomile is the last ingredient helping us complete the list of home remedies for psoriasis. Called as a herbal medicine of the past with bright future, chamomile is able to reduce inflammation, pain and irritation of the skin.
- Add some chamomile flowers and oatmeal into hot water. Let it steep for 30 minutes then strain
- Use a clean cloth to apply the liquid onto the affected skin
- Leave for at least 30 minutes before rinsing off
13. Neem Oil
Neem oil is believed to have an ability to curb many skin diseases, including psoriasis owing to its strong analgesic, anti-inflammatory properties. With the oil, you will no longer worry about the pain, irritation and inflammation.
- Apply directly the oil onto the affected area and let the skin absorb completely
- Alternatively, you can also use other organic cosmetic products made from neem such as creams or lotion to moisturize your skin after bathing
14. Peppermint Oil
Another effective ingredient on the list of home remedies for psoriasis is peppermint oil, which contain anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. With this essential oil, your skin will quickly be healed and safe from psoriasis exacerbation.
All you need to do is either consuming the tea from green tea or directly apply the oil on the affected area.