Skin tags are caused due to the accumulation of blood vessels and collagen in the thicker parts of the skin. In dermatology skin tags are generally referred to as acrochordons.
Other factors that increase your risk of getting skin tags include:
-Skin chafing and irritation
-Human papillomavirus (HPV)
-Type 2 diabetes
**Please note that an ugly looking mole that has a non-uniform shape, border, and or color needs to be seen by a professional immediately. If you have a lesion that fits into one of the categories pictured on the right, it’s a good idea to find an integrative oncologist and discuss the use of cannabis oil, a.k.a. Rick Simpson oil.
On the other hand a non-cancerous skin tag is a fleshy outgrowth which tends to be very small in size and lifted off the skin. They usually occur on eyelids, neck, arms, the lower breast, and in or around the armpits. Skin tags can occur both in men and women. Your doctor can remove them for a hefty fee or you can easily remove them yourself using one of these simple home remedies:
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
This is one of the best home remedies for skin tags on the neck. Soak a cotton ball in apple cider vinegar and apply it over the skin tag. Use this remedy up to 3 times a day for about a month for complete removal. Learn more about this method by following this link.
2. Castor Oil
Mix a little castor oil with baking soda to form a paste and cover it with a bandage. Wash and pat dry at least once a day and repeat the process for a month. You will notice the skin tag disappearing slowly.
If you’re looking for speedy removal and you have the time apply the castor oil paste at least five times a day mixed with a few drops of Lomatium herbal extract. This method will remove the skin tag in only ten days!
3. Pineapple Juice for Skin Tags
Pineapple juice is a very effective method and can even remove your moles and warts too!
• Pineapple (or raw, not-from-concentrate pineapple juice, if you can find it)
• Cotton ball
• Take the pieces of pineapple and blend them to get juice.
• With the help of cotton ball, apply this juice to your skin tags.
• Do this twice a day for a few weeks.
4. Tea Tree Oil
This is the most easy and even painless home remedy for skin tags. As per the ancient Chinese medicine, your skin tags indicate that there is dampness within your body. Due to its natural antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral properties, tea tree oil dries out any wart and even skin tags from the inside out.
• Tea tree oil – 3 drops
• Cotton ball
• Water – enough to soak the cotton ball
• Clean your skin tag
• Soak the cotton ball in clean water.
• Take out the cotton ball and squeeze a little to just drain out the excessive water. Don’t squeeze too hard.
• Add a few drops of tea tree oil onto the wet cotton ball.
• Gently massage your skin tag with the cotton ball.
• Repeat 3 times a day for best results.
5. Onion Juice
Cut an onion and rub 1/4-1/2 tsp of salt on it. Leave it in a container overnight. Extract the juice in the morning. You don’t need to use it immidiately. That night before going to bed, apply the juice to your tags and wrap with a bandage. Repeat the process for at least 10-12 days.
6. Banana Peel
A banana peel can be very effective for skin tag removal. Cut a small piece of banana peel and cover the skin tag with the inside of the peel. Secure some gauze over the peel and leave it on overnight. Repeat this remedy daily until the skin tags fall off.
7. Cauliflower Juice
While you can always blend cauliflower with water to get its juice and apply to your skin tags, this is a more effective recipe which uses other vegetables with cauliflower to rid of tags even faster!
• One Potato
• 2 Garlic cloves
• A few pieces of Cauliflower
• A bandage
• Blend all three ingredients with a small amount of water to form a thick paste.
• Apply a dab of this paste on your skin tags at night before you go to sleep.
• Wrap the area with a bandage.
• Remove it in the morning and wash the skin tag.
• Repeat this process for a few days until the tag falls off.
8. Garlic Remedy
Due to its superb antibacterial, antifungal and antimicrobial properties, garlic is one of the best remedies for skin tags too. You will need fresh garlic cloves for this.
• Crush the 3 or 4 garlic cloves and make a course paste.
• Before going to bed, apply this paste to your skin tags.
• Now use the bandage to cover the tag so that the paste stays in place.
• In the morning, remove the bandage and wash off your skin.
• Do this for few days until your skin tag falls off.
9. Fig Stem Juice
Figs are not only laxatives but can treat various skin infections by regaining and maintaining pH balance. The stem is what we are most interested in using in this case.
• Take a few fig stems.
• Blend them to create a paste.
• Apply to your skin tags 3-4 times a day.
• The effect can be seen in about 2-4 weeks.
This remedy works well for moles too.
10. Lemon Juice
Citric acid helps in decomposing the cells of your skin tags. Simply grab a lemon, cut it and squeeze its juice into a bowl. Dip a cotton ball in the juice and apply to the skin tags. Let it dry and repeat the process two or three times a day. The skin tags will fall off after two-four weeks of regular use.
Note: After applying lemon juice, do not step out in sun, this may give you a blotchy tan. If you must expose the area to sunlight first wash your skin to remove the juice from it.
11. Dandelion Stem Juice for Skin Tags
Dandelion is not only good for liver diseases but also for skin diseases including eczema, warts, moles and skin tags. Extract the juice form dandelion stems and apply it on your skin tags to see results in only a few days. All you need to do is squeeze the milky white juice from the stem onto your tags. Do this three-four times a day and allow it to air dry. You skin tags will gradually become dark black and then fall off.
Precaution: If you are allergic to ragweed or other plants like daisies, chrysanthemums, marigolds etc., you may be allergic to dandelion too.
12. Oregano Oil
Oregano essential oil has very strong antibacterial properties due to its phenolic terpenoids components like arvacrol, thymol and p-cymene. These components have antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, antimelanomic, anti-oxidative, antispasmodic, antiseptic properties. Oregano oil can cure skin tags in two-four weeks. It may take up to two months to remove skin tags using this method. If you decide to use oregano oil please share your success story in the comments section.
Mix 2-3 drops oregano oil with 4-6 drops coconut oil. Apply the mixture at least three times a day. You may see your tags changing color on daily basis. They will get red, purple and gradually dark black before dropping off your skin.
Note: Do not apply oregano oil without diluting it in a carrier oil such as coconut, otherwise you will get red marks all along the skin that surrounds your tag. Also DO NOT apply this home remedy on skin tags over your eyelid.
13. Black Walnut Hull Homemade Tincture for Skin Tags
Black walnut hull has been recognized as a very effective herb for various skin diseases including warts, moles, acne, impetigo, athlete’s foot, ringworm, skin tags and even eczema. Many herbalists believe that Juglone, which is the primary natural ingredient present in black walnut hull makes your unwanted skin cells toxic to such a level that your body rejects the tissues. When targeting skin tags with this herb, they die and fall off. In fact, black walnut hull tincture is also administered internally to kill intestinal parasites and worms. For skin diseases, this tincture is applied externally. You can make your own black walnut hull tincture at home. There are two types of this tincture- water based and alcohol based. If your skin is very sensitive or you can not bear the stinging sensations, you can make water based tincture otherwise make the alcohol based tincture which is more effective and works fast.
• Black walnuts- 5-10 (use those which have green husks)
• Water- enough to immerse the husks
• A saucepan
• Vitamin C powder (optional)- ¼ tsp (you can get it by crushing vitamin C capsules. Alternatively you can cut lemon rinds into small pieces and let them dry in the sun. Put these peels into a coffee grinder and Voila! You have natural homemade vitamin C powder)
• Wear gloves because black walnuts stain.
• Remove the husks from the black walnuts.
• Now put the green husks in a saucepan and pour water on them, enough to cover them.
• Heat this until it boils.
• Remove from the heat and cover with a tightly fitting lid.
• Let this stand for 24 hours
• After a full day strain and store in a bottle.
• If you want, you can add vitamin C powder to it which will work as a preservative. Vitamin C is also good for the skin.
• Black walnuts- 5-10 (use those which have green husk)
• Grain alcohol- enough to immerse the husks
• Water- equal to the quantity of alcohol
• A jar with lid (mason jar)
• Again, wear gloves to avoid stains.
• Remove the husks from the nuts and put these green husks into the jar.
• Add grain alcohol, enough to cover the husk.
• Put the lid on the jar and let the solution stand for 2 days.
• After 2 days, strain it and add an equal amount of water.
• Store in a bottle.
Apply your homemade black walnut hull tincture on your skin tags 2-3 times a day.
Note: Pregnant woman should avoid this method.
Do not be afraid of skin tags as they are unobtrusive and painless. Never try to remove them by surgical means at home. This may cause infection and make everything worse. Try these simple home remedies instead!