Delicious pistachio nuts have be considered as a symbol of wellness and good health since ancient times. The kernels are enriched with much health benefiting nutrients essential for robust health. They speed u metabolism, lower cholesterol and slow down aging. Because of these benefits they deserve a special place in our diet. Pistachios can be available in the markets year around. In the grocery stores, one may choose shelled, inshell, roasted, salted, sweetened, etc. put for sale. Try to buy pistachios with intact outer coat, whole nuts instead of processed ones.
Imagine what we will gain if we consume pistachios every day:
- Because of the large amount of the antioxidant lutein they contain, pistachios canreduce cholesterol by 20 % if you eat them every day for few days.
- Pistachios are great source of fiber. In only 100 g there are dietary fibers which have an important role in accelerating the metabolism and facilitating digestion.
- Pistachios are regulating blood sugar. One cup of pistachio contains even 60 percent of the recommended dose of phosphorus. In addition to the fact that this mineral breaks down proteins and amino acids, phosphorus stimulates glucose tolerance as well.
- Pistachios are rich source of energy; 100 g of kernels carry 557 calories. Additionally, they compose good amounts of mono-unsaturated fatty acids like oleic acid and antioxidants.
- The large amount of antioxidants they contain makes pistachio leader between nuts. They revitalize the body and are considered to be natural botox.
- Pistachio kernels are rich source of many anti-oxidant phyto-chemical substances such as carotenes, vitamin E, and polyphenolic antioxidant compounds. Research studies suggest that these compounds may help remove toxic free-radicals from the body, and thus, protect it from diseases, cancers, and infections.
- Together with walnuts, almonds, and cashew, pistachio offer good sources of protein, fats, and minerals like copper, manganese, potassium, calcium, iron, magnesium, zinc, and selenium.
- Pistachios are excellent sources of vitamin-E, which is a powerful lipid-soluble antioxidant essential for maintaining the integrity of cell membranes of mucosa and skin.
- Men listen up! Pistachios increase sexual power of men for 51% if consumed daily. This is due to the essential fatty acids which assist in the production of sex hormones and increase the blood flow to the genitalia.
When you buy pistachios, look for the unpeeled ones. This way you will be able to count every opening of the shell and you will know how many you have eaten, to avoid overeating. Just a hand full of pistachios a day provides enough recommended levels of phenolic anti-oxidants, minerals, vitamins, and protein.