Younger adults at the age between 20 and 30, are often concerned with the problem of premature graying of hair, as it makes them older than they really are. This hair issue can be caused by the following factors and diseases: genetic predisposition, hormonal fluctuations, stress, poor nutrition, thyroid disorders, sinusitis, and chronic colds.
Melanin is the pigment which gives the hair its color, and when there’s insufficient amounts of it, strands of hair turn grey or white. The activity of this pigment reduces with the age and our body gradually stops its production.
Try some natural home remedy for your grayish strands, as oppose to using chemical-laden and commercial hair colors. Moreover, eat a nutritious and healthy diet. Lack of certain minerals and vitamins like iron, Vitamin B, iodine, and copper can further contribute to this hair issue.
We present you the top ten home remedies for early graying of hair.
1. Indian Gooseberry
Amla, or Indian gooseberry, is great for wide range of hair problems, such as premature graying, hair loss, and dull hair.This fruit possesses anti-aging properties as it contains high amounts of antioxidants and vitamin C. Besides consuming Indian gooseberry, you can as well apply ampla pulp or amla oil on your hair.
Boil several dried Indian gooseberries or amla powder in a coconut oil, until you notice the berries become charred. Allow the oil to cool and then apply it on your scalp and hair. Let it stay there overnight, but if you can’t then at least for an hour before washing your hair. This hair treatment should be done twice, or more times a week.
- You can also combine 1 tbsp. of amla pulp and 1 tbsp. of lemon juice. Use this mixture to massage the scalp before bed, and rinse it out the following morning.
- As an alternative, mix equal quantities of almond oil and Indian gooseberry juice. If you like you can also add some lime juice. Not only that this mixture will reduce the graying of your hair, but it will also support its healthy growth.
2. Curry Leaves
You can increase your hair’s pigmentation with a combination of these leaves and coconut oil. This mixture is also an excellent hair tonic.
- Put a tablespoon of coconut oil in a pan, and add a handful of fresh curry leaves. Boil them until the leaves become charred. Then strain the mixture.
- Use the strained oil to massage your hair. Let it stay for 30 to 45 minutes before you wash your hair.
- Do this at least once or twice a week. Moreover, you can as well drink curry juice on a daily basis.
Not only that henna will darken your hair, but it will also condition and strengthen your lustrous locks.
- Make a paste of grinded henna leaves, 1 tbsp. of coffee powder, 3 tbsp. of Indian gooseberry powder, and a bit plain yogurt. Spread the mixture equally on your hair, and allow it to dry. Then, rinse your hair and shampoo it as always. This should be done once in a 2 to 4 week period.
- You can also boil some henna leaves in mustard oil, or coconut oil, until they become charred. Apply the oil on your hair.
- Mix henna powder with hot black coffee until the mixture gets yogurt-consistency, and you will have a hair mask. Once you prepare the mixture, cover it and allow it to stand for a couple of hours. Spread the mask on your hair, let it sit for one to three hours, and then wash your hair with a shampoo.
4. Lemon Juice and Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is extremely beneficial for your hair in so many ways. It stimulates hair growth, moisturizes your hair, adds luster to it and fights against infections. If you use it for a longer period, its antioxidants will reverse your gray hair.
- Combine 3 tbsp. of lemon juice in coconut oil sufficient for your hair’s length.
- Apply the mixture to your hair and massage your scalp. Allow it to stay at least for an hour before you wash your hair with a shampoo.
- Do this once a week.
5. Sage and Rosemary
These herbs will naturally darken your gray hair.
- Pour 2 cups of water in a pot, and add half a cup of each of the dried herbs. Boil it, and allow it to stay for a few hours, before you strain the mixture.
- Rinse your hair with this solution after shampooing, and let it stay for about 15-20 minutes before you wash it out.
- Do this once a week.
6. Blackstrap Molasses
This is an effective and popular home remedy to reduce and even prevent graying of hair. It helps with the pigment production as it contains high amounts of copper.
Consuming blackstrap molasses will supply you with 14 percent of the recommended daily dosage of copper. Moreover, it includes other trace minerals like selenium, iron, and magnesium. Consume a tablespoon of blackstrap molasses every morning for a period of at least several months.
This juice is considered as an excellent home remedy for premature graying and thin hair. Researchers have discovered that graying of the hair is mainly caused by hydrogen peroxide accumulation at the hair follicles’ bases and a decrease in catalase, a natural antioxidant. Onion juice supports catalase’s production.
- Massage your scalp with an onion juice, and let it stay for about 30 minutes up to an hour.
- Do this hair treatment every day for a couple of weeks.
Not only that this tea will darken your hair, but it will also soften and add shine to it.
- Once you boil 2 tbsp. of the tea in a cup of water, add a tsp. of salt, and let it cool.
- Wash your hair with this tea several times, and on the last time, allow it to stay for 15-20 minutes.
- Then, rinse your hair with cold water without a shampoo.
- Do this once or twice on a weekly basis.
You can also darken your gray hair if you add some ground coffee to your regular hair conditioner.
Besides stopping the graying of your hair and fighting with hair loss, amaranth will also bring back your natural hair color.
- First, wash your hair with a shampoo, and then apply fresh juice extracted from leaves of amaranth on your scalp and hair.
- Then rinse your hair with clean water.
10. Black Sesame Seeds
Traditional Chinese medicine considers black sesame seeds as extremely effective in eliminating the issue of premature graying of hair, since they supposedly support melanocyte activity to produce melanin.
Moreover, they contain high amounts of iron, magnesium, protein, copper, and phosphorus. You should consume a teaspoon of these seeds every day in the period of minimum 3 months. Furthermore, your hair will be thankful if you apply some sesame oil on it, on a regular basis.
Adhere to these home remedies for premature graying of hair regularly in a period of several weeks or sometimes even months, if you want to see positive results. Patience is a virtue, after all!
Image Credits: Wiki How