We’re closing in once again on another new year. And in the food world, there are a number of unhealthy foods that make our stomachs turn. If eating better is a goal for 2015, consider letting these processed foods stay in 2014.
Image Credits: Provisions
1. Flavored yogurts: Gaze through this report from the Cornucopia Institute and you’ll think twice about that strawberry yogurt. Flavored yogurts are high in sugars, artificial sweeteners, colors and flavors among other unsavory ingredients. Make your own or stick to plain, organic yogurts. Want strawberries? Add them yourself.
2. Canned anything: There are so many canned goods in the supermarket it’s hard to think they’re all bad for us. And while many contain healthy ingredients like beans or tomatoes, there are big risks from all the chemicals in the lining of the can, namely BPA (bisphenol-A). Don’t be deceived by the BPA-free labels, either. Many of those contain other endocrine disrupting chemicals that may be just as unhealthy. And keep in mind that most canned goods also contain excess amounts of salt.
3. Energy bars: They’re convenient, tasty and typically loaded with sugar, hexane-extracted protein and soy oils. You can achieve the same quick energy fix from a handful of nuts and a few pieces of fruit (fresh or dried). Or, make some time to bake your own energy bars where you can control the ingredients.
4. Donuts: Does this one really even need an explanation? They’re never healthy. And while the every-so-often occasion is probably okay, it’s easy to let yourself binge and find more excuses to eat these empty calories!
5. Sodas: Diet or regular, there’s really no benefit to a soda, and if it comes in a can, it’s even worse (see #2). Diet sodas contain artificial sweeteners and regular ones are loaded with high fructose corn syrup. Even natural sodas can contain more than 40 grams of sugar per bottle! Opt for sparkling water instead.
Original source of the article: http://naturallysavvy.com/eat/5-processed-foods-to-give-up-for-good-in-2015