There are a lot of Otolaryngology specialists around the world, but most people only know them as ENT (Ear, Nose, and Throat) specialist. Most people have heard of an ENT Specialist, but often wonder what their area of expertise is. Generally speaking they normally treat disorders of the ear, nose, and throat, offering treatments such as the following:
- Facial reconstructive surgery
- Facial plastic surgery
- Oncology of the head and neck
Common Disorders And Diseases They Treat
- Hearing Loss – Many people go to an ENT specialist because of hearing loss to determine what is causing the loss and to decide if there are any medications or procedures that can restore hearing. ENT Consultants will determine if the ear drum is perforated, if the cause is from nerve damage, sensorineural hearing loss that is either gradual or sudden, damage to the auditory canal, tympanic membrane, or other problems that are causing the loss. They can also help determine if it’s permanent or temporary loss. The ENT Consultants are also often consulted for treatment for Tinnitus and vertigo that are frequently associated with hearing disorders, and will often do Cochlear implants.
- Nose and Sinus problems – Another area that ENT Consultants specialise in are treating problems with the sinus, nose, and preanuricular sinus. These could be caused by infections, fluid collection, deviated septum, polyps, tumours, cysts, narrow sinus cavities, fractured nasal bones, and even the more serious Cerebrospinal Fluid Leak. The ENT will determine the problem and either medications or surgery can be recommended. The ENT Consultants treat assorted sleep and snoring disorders since they are frequently related to the nose and sinus cavities.
- Vocal Cord –Since the ENT specialises in head and neck issues, one of the areas they treat is the vocal cords. These range from cysts, polyps, and nodules in the vocal cords to assorted palsy’s that paralyze the vocal cords and a wide variety of cancers that can affect the vocal cords. Many ENT surgeons also special in surgical procedures for cleft palate and lip.
- Larynx and Trachea – ENTs also treat thyro-glossal cysts in the larynx and other growths that affect the trachea as well. These can include disorders of the salivary gland, Thyroid and Parathyroid glands, tonsils, tumours, cancers, and any other growths or trauma that includes the oesophagus, neck, head, and surrounding lymph nodes.
This article has only explored a select few conditions that an ENT Consultant can treat; any issues that a patient is suffering with (to do with the nose, ears or throat) should visit an ENT Clinic as soon as possible, in order to better the condition fast and effectively.