Stress is defined as the body’s response to any change that warrants physical, emotional, or mental feedback. While we may see it as an austere part of our lives, stress actually helps hone a person’s ability to respond to threats or danger. However, if one lets stress affect him negatively, then he may leave himself susceptible to the jeopardizing effects it brings on his overall health and well-being.
You don’t have to let stress take over your life and maim you physically. Here are helpful chunks of information that can help you deal with stress effectively.
What Happens When You Experience Stress
When faced with a certain type of stress, the body deals with the “fight or flight” response. When this happens, the body releases hormones that let you deal with your stresses. As a result, you will experience the following symptoms:
- more blood flow will be directed to your brain and muscles
- your heart rate will increase
- your respiration will be faster to bring more oxygen to your lungs
- digestion will slow down in order to direct blood flow to other vital organs
- your muscles will increase in tension
How Stress Affects Your Health
If your body is exposed to stress frequently, it can yield negative effects on your health. When this persists without relief, it will lead to distress—a condition can lead to a variety of symptoms, such as the following:
- high blood pressure – doubles your risk of suffering from heart attack or stroke
- headaches, stomachache and chest pain
- lowered immunity – makes you susceptible to illnesses and infections
- worse asthma attacks
- sleeping problems
- decreased libido
Worse of all, too much stress can prod you to start bad habits like drinking alcohol, smoking, or using drugs, all of which may eventually cause irreversible damage on your health.
How to Combat Stress
Stress is a constant factor in a person’s life that may bring about long-term detrimental effects. Since there’s little you can do to prevent it, the best thing you can do is to utilize techniques that can help you combat stress. Here are some activities that can help you deal with the stresses that can harm your health:
- Engage in exercise. Individuals who exercise regularly are people who deal with stress more effectively. Because they are physically in tip-top shape, their minds are very efficient when it comes to addressing stressful issues. Apart from this benefit, exercise can strengthen your immune system. It can keep you well-protected from cough, colds, and other illnesses caused by a suppressed immune system.
- Perform relaxation activities. There are a handful of relaxation techniques that can help you deal with stress easily. Activities such as stretching and yoga are just some of the many feats that can help relieve you of stress.
- Seek the help of a physician. If stress adversely affects your daily life, then you need to consult with a doctor. He can prescribe you with stress-relieving medications.
Whether we like it or not, there will be things in our everyday lives that can, at one point or another, cause us to be stressed. Take it as a challenge, and not something that can impede you. By knowing how it affects your health and what you can do to combat it, you never have to take a sick leave or skip work too often.
About The Author
Northwest Pharmacy is a Canadian online pharmacy that is known for its stellar reputation in supplying all authentic drugs in an expedient manner. If you need medication and do not want to leave the comfort of your home, be sure to visit Northwest Pharmacy.