Tis the season to attend family gatherings, holiday photoshoots, and special celebrations with acquaintances. With the festivities right around the corner, now is your chance to get started on perfecting your complexion. Having flawless skin can seem like a challenge, and rightfully so. With all of the prep work that goes into party planning, invitations, cooking, and cleaning, it’s easy to let the rigmarole of the holiday season get in the way of prepping your skin to be picture-perfect. The following are five easy ways to plump up your skin without needles or down-time!
1. Cleanse, tone, and exfoliate to remove surface build-up.
While these three steps do not constitute a complete skincare regimen, they are crucial to achieving a revitalized appearance. Cleansing removes surface debris and makeup, which can clog pores and contribute to acne and lackluster skin. Toning provides a final sweep to refresh the skin and remove anything that cleansing has left behind. To slough off dry skin and convey a renewed look, try exfoliating two or three times per week. Consider these steps the necessary prep work before bringing out the big guns.
2. Hydrate the skin, face, and neck with plumping ingredients.
Before you contemplate fillers, it’s worthwhile to try products formulated with Collagen, Hyaluronic Acid, and Ascorbic Acid, which can help fight against the signs of aging.
- Collagen is a natural protein that provides strength to the skin’s structure. Over the years, the production of this structural component slows, which contributes to a less lifted look. Products with Collagen can also reduce natural moisture loss.
- Hyaluronic Acid, which is a greaseless ingredient great for retaining moisture, has been found effective at imparting a smooth finish to the skin.
- If you’re concerned with diminishing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, products with the antioxidant Ascorbic Acid, also known as Vitamin C, maybe your savior. This powerful ingredient helps to stimulate collagen production, strengthen capillary walls, speed healing time, and battle against stress, toxins, and free radicals from the environment.
3. Use serum and a nourishing mask.
Serums provide concentrated amounts of beneficial ingredients to the deeper layers of the skin. There are a variety of serums that target specific concerns such as loss of firmness, decreased elasticity, and diminished skin tone. It’s important to find products with natural ingredients listed at the top of the label for the highest potency. In addition to skincare serums, nourishing masks are great for added hydration, which helps with plumpness, and for temporarily lifting the appearance of the skin.
4. Avoid stress, sleep loss, smoking, and excessive drinking.
These four culprits are the kiss of death to great skin. Stress can have a terrible effect on even the most enviable complexions. Find ways to cope with tension and anxiety to avoid wearing your worries on your face. In addition, allow yourself plenty of time to sleep. This is one of those easy, but often forgotten rules of being beautiful. It goes without saying, but smoking and excessive drinking are also bad habits to avoid on your quest for a gorgeous, glowing complexion.
5. Rely on water, healthy foods, and exercise to give your skin a fighting chance.
When your skin is dehydrated it will not look plump. Our bodies are made up of mostly water, so be sure to drink enough H₂O throughout the day. Essential fatty acids like Omega-3 and Omega-6 rich foods aid in healing and help to promote smooth, healthy, and moisturized skin. Work on your complexion from the inside out with healthy foods like nuts, eggs, grains, poultry, seafood, and healthy cooking oils. Be mindful to combat stress by giving yourself time to meditate and exercise. Yoga, Pilates, spinning, and kickboxing are all great ways to combat tension. A chiropractor once gave me the advice that you should try to match the amount of exercise you do to the level of stress you’re under.