Who doesn’t get fired up when the training montages come on during the Rocky movies? With the combination of good music, dedication, and trainers shouting encouragement it makes you want to stand up and start throwing jabs and running stairs. So why not turn that motivation into an actual workout?
Boxing is a great way to stay in shape and even if you don’t have access to a gym you can still make up a simple home workout that will have you feeling the burn and having fun. That doesn’t mean after doing this for a few weeks that you can go one-on-one with Mike Tyson, even in his current state; but you should be a toner, tighter version of yourself.
The Rocky Workout
Please note that this training routine does not in fact make you any sort of fighter and please do not expect that after shadow boxing to be prepared for a real fight other than having some decent endurance.
Warm-up – Jumping Rope 5 minutes at a slow pace (you are just getting the blood flowing)
Circuit Training – Follow this circuit three times through resting one minute after each circuit
- Clapping Pushups – 30 seconds
- Jump Squats – 30 seconds
- Plank Rows – 30 seconds – Assume a pushup position with a dumbbell in each hand then do single arm rows alternating with each rep
- Burpees – 30 seconds
- Side-to-Side Squat Jumps – 30 seconds
- Wall Pushups – 30 seconds (for shoulders)
Intermediate Work – Jumping Rope 5 minutes at a moderate pace
Interval Shadow Boxing – Do 60 seconds of shadow boxing followed by 60 seconds of medium pace rope jumping for a total of 14 minutes. If you have a heavy bag, feel free to punch it.
Abdominal Circuit – Follow this circuit twice through with no rest after the first circuit
- Bicycle Crunches – 60 seconds
- Medicine Ball Twists – 60 seconds
- Leg Raise and Thrust – 60 seconds – Lie flat on a bench and grasp the bench with your hands. Do a normal leg raise until your feet point straight up and then thrust your hips straight up before returning back down
- Pushup Plank – 60 seconds
Cool Down – Jump Rope 10 minutes at a slow pace
This is actually a pretty good all around workout where you will be toning a lot of muscles and getting your heart rate up with a mix of interval and high intensity training. Make sure to stay well hydrated and take an extra break if you get your heart rate up so high that you can’t comfortable talk while exercising. Overall this workout takes about an hour with stretching. So turn on the ‘Eye of the Tiger’ and get going!
You can keep up with our latest informational blog posts at Nutribomb Bodybuilding Supplements. You can also contact us at our Facebook Bodybuilding Forums.