Is Mold Really That Dangerous?

Is Mold Really That Dangerous?

in Overall Health by

Is Mold Really That Dangerous?Mold is a lot of things, but welcome is not one of them. You undoubtedly don’t want to wake up one morning and realize that you have mold in your home, but at the same time you might wonder if it’s really all that bad. Many people are unaware of the real dangers of mold, and part of the reason for that is the sheer amount of media attention mold has been given. Toxic black mold is a term that is thrown around loosely in the media, and the use of this term has many people paranoid that their home is contaminated. It’s causing a lot of hysteria, which is why it is important to get to the bottom of the actual danger that mold possesses.

Reality Check

The media does have a flair for the dramatic, and their dramatics include sensationalizing mold. These news reports have caused worldwide hysteria regarding all forms of mold, and these fears and unfounded. Every building on the planet has mold. It’s a fact of life. In fact, they all contain toxic black mold, which is actually nothing more than a term that was created by the media to garner interest in their news reports. Since every building has mold, every person on the planet inhales a lot of it on a daily basis, and they are all fine. Additionally, mold tests and air quality tests that find mold in your home are not accurate.

In a recent study, it was found that indoor air quality levels are affected less than five percent by things such as mold and dander. The truth is that mold can produce toxins, but having the ability to do so doesn’t mean that it necessarily does. In fact, the amount of mold spores you inhale in your home or office on a daily basis is not enough to warrant a dose that is toxic.

 The Real Concerns: When Mold Is Dangerous

If you live or work somewhere that the mold is out of control, you might experience side effects and health issues. While the typical amount of mold spores inhaled on a daily basis is not enough to warrant concern, greater exposure is dangerous; especially to people who suffer from allergies and breathing problems, which is a fact confirmed by health experts.

If you have allergies, you might experience hay fever from the inhalation of a large number of mold spores. This happens to only 10 percent of the country’s population. More than 50 percent of people with asthma have allergies to mold that range from mild cases of a very dry cough to very severe cases such as loss of breath and the inability to breathe. Finally, some mold spores can cause respiratory infections, which are not particularly dangerous.

Certain molds can, in extremely large doses, release toxins into the air that can cause health problems. Scientists are still unsure whether a person can actually breathe enough of these toxic mold spores indoors to cause significant health problems. However, if a workplace or home does have a large amount of mold, it is always a good idea to have it cleared out and cleaned up.

Mold does have the ability to cause health problems that are dangerous to a person’s life. However, these health issues are not very common. Therefore, you should not spend too much time worrying about your risk of getting sick due to mold.

Helen is a health writer associated with NYC mold removal company Mold Busters as their staff writer. She is contributing to a few health and home improvement sites as the guest author, and she’s here on Google Plus if you want to connect.