If you want to start making yourself and possibly your family a safe, all natural and incredible toothpaste, follow the recipe below. It’s easy to make and super effective. It also helps keep germs from breeding in the bristles of your toothbrush.
Like many homemade alternatives to store bought items, this homemade toothpaste many take some getting used to. You may find the taste a bit salty due to the baking soda, but you can adjust the ingredients until they fit your liking & taste buds. If you can, let all that go, and trust this new toothpaste, as you will soon reap the reward of impressive oral health.
- 1/2 Cup Coconut Oil: This item naturally contains antibacterial/antimicrobial properties due to its high lauric acid content
- 2-3 Tbsp. Baking Soda: Neutralizes bacteria in the mouth that causes cavities, and also helps to whiten teeth, remove plaque, and maintain healthy gums.
- 1 Tbsp. Xylitol: This is a natural sweetener, to sweeten the toothpaste, improving it’s taste and it also has cavity-fighting properties. It also promotes the growth of protective, non-acidic bacteria. Xylitol also raises mouth pH and encourages mineral-rich saliva to flow. This can protect and remineralize teeth by repairing the deep layers of enamel.
- 10 Drops Essential Oil: My favorite to use are peppermint, cinnamon or citrus essential oils, that all have antibacterial properties as well.
- Melt the coconut oil on a low heat in the glass jar that you will it in, and then placing the jar into a pan of lightly, simmering water
- Once melted, remove from heat, and stir in baking soda
- In a coffee grinder or blender, blend the xylitol into a fine powder so that it easily dissolves
- Add the xylitol to the mixture, and feel free to add more if you want it sweeter
- Mix in the Essential oils
- Once the mixture solidifies, stir it some more to make sure the baking soda doesn’t all settle on the bottom.