Most people don’t think about the idea that things that we use on daily basis, such as, toilet paper can be dangerous to our health. We don’t want you to make you feel upset, but to be aware of the possible dangers that you consume or use every day and how to make right choices in order to keep yourself in good health. Every day, we absorb thousands of chemicals into our bodies from personal hygiene paper and other products. We wipe our faces, hands and intimate areas with these products, exposing our bodies to harmful chemicals and toxins over and into our bodies repeatedly. We do so thinking we’re limiting the risk of disease, not increasing it.
When it comes to toilet paper, everyone will go for the softest and the whitest paper possible. But the truth is, this kind is the most toxic for your body. The shocking information is that there are 100.000 chemicals used in commercial paper products: baby wipes, paper towels, coffee filters, milk cartons, ect. The most dangerous of these toxins is chlorine, and along with other chemicals, these substances enter through our skin, get into our blood and can cause serious illnesses. Chlorine is dangerous in a way that forms dangerous toxins dioxin and furans.
Why White Toilet Paper is Toxic
It is well known that toilet paper is made from wood and the logic tells us that it should be brown. Why is it so white than? Unfortunately, paper industries use chlorine and chlorine dioxide to bleach it. Bleached paper is believed to be the most carcinogenic chemical known to science! These chemicals react with organic molecules in the wood and other fibers to create many toxic byproducts, including dioxin. The term dioxin is often used to include three acutely toxic chemical groups: true dioxins, furans and polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs). All these are responsible for many health problems such as cancer, hormone imbalances, immune system impairments, reduced fertility and birth defects. Chlorinated toilet paper contains highest amount of furans out of all cosmetic tissues, and is one of the most toxic human-made chemicals. The scary thing is that dioxins accumulate in our body overtime because it cannot be excreted, and causes dangerous health situation. Studies have found correlations between high workplace exposure to dioxins and increased risk of cancer.
Other Harmful Chemicals in Toilet Paper
What’s worse, there are other chemicals in toilet paper that you are wiping onto your body and which are known to be carcinogenic:
– Bisphenol A (BPA) which concentration is proven to be very high in paper products, including recycled toilet paper.
– Formaldehyde which is used ”to improve the wet-strength and other ‘important’ characteristics of paper and paper products”.
What Should You Do?
Just like food packaging, you need to read the labels on your toilet tissue too. Here’s what to look for:
– Brown or beige paper! Toilet paper brown or beige in color is usually made without bleach but lacks softness and contort.
– BPA-free paper products that have not been recycled and have not, therefore, ever been exposed to chlorinated bleach.
– TCF (Totally Chlorine-Free items). Look for toilet paper marked TCF which is non-recycled paper bleached with oxygen, ozone, or hydrogen or
– PCF (Processed Chlorine-Free), recycled paper bleached with oxygen, ozone or hydrogen peroxide, therefore, processed chlorine-free.
– Avoid paper marker ECF (Elemental Chlorine-Free) which may contain higher levels of toxicity.
Image Credits: Flickr