Coconut oil has been making its way onto the radars of more and more people. As it grows in popularity, it also appears to grow in its abilities. Coconut oil has a myriad different uses from cooking to skincare to health.
Unbeknownst to most people, coconut oil is also a great fighter against yeast infections. Symptoms of a yeast infection include irritation, itchiness, and unusual discharge. It is caused by a fungus that grows when there is an imbalance in your hormones and immune system.
Coconut oil contains lauric acid and caprylic acid, two ingredients known for their strength in combating yeast infections. These substances have antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal properties, which work against the fungus responsible for yeast infections. Taking a dosage of about 3.5 tablespoons of high quality organic extra virgin coconut oil on a daily basis has proven to show positive results in relieving yeast infections. In some lucky cases, the infection has been known to be cured in a matter of hours. It all depends on the severity of the infection.
Ways to treat yeast infections with coconut oil:
Coconut oil in food
Coconut oil can easily be incorporated into your diet as a way of fighting yeast infections.
- Substitute coconut oil for butter on toast or stir some in a bowl of oatmeal.
- Add a teaspoon to coffee.
- Consume a teaspoon of coconut oil before each meal.
- Substitute coconut oil for other cooking oils as coconut oil does not break down into unhealthy trans fats when cooked in high temperatures.
- Add traditional fermented food to your diet for added relief.
Pure coconut oil
You may apply coconut oil directly to your skin. Unlike the creams that doctors prescribe, coconut oil is non-irritating and won’t leave a white mess.
- Clean and dry the affected area thoroughly.
- Apply a thin layer of coconut oil to the affected area.
- Repeat 2 – 3 times daily until yeast infection is gone.
Coconut oil douche
- Mix 3 – 4 tablespoons of coconut oil and 2 quarts of warm distilled water.
- Douche with the solution.
- Repeat daily until yeast infection is gone.
- Alternately use a tampon dipped in coconut oil in place of the douche.
Coconut oil capsule
Coconut oil can also be replaced with capsules and are just as effective. The capsule melts with body heat and is best used prior to going to sleep. You may want to wear a pad in your underwear to collect the melted capsule and prevent leakage. Use 2 – 3 capsules nightly until yeast infection is gone.
How does it work?
There are a few different ways coconut oil works in the battle against yeast infections.
1. Antifungal Properties
When caprylic acid comes in contact with yeast colonies, it breaks down yeast cells, preventing them from growing and multiplying. Caprylic acid is present in most yeast infection treatments.
2. Sugar High
Coconut oil is a natural sweetener and good source of energy. As a result, it will allow you to cut back on consuming sugars, which the fungus feeds on and lessen your carb intake, reducing the source of bad yeast and fungus.
3. Tough Barrier
Coconut oil is able to form a protective layer, which acts as a barrier and protects the sensitive and irritated skin that has already been damaged by the infection.
If you are suffering from a yeast infection, applying these tips will help you to avoid an extra trip to the doctor’s office. Coconut oil is a great natural remedy for yeast overgrowth.