Bitter gourd is a popular vegetable in some Asian countries, where the health benefits of the plant are well-known–particularly, its ability to lower blood glucose in diabetics. Bitter gourd has been used to treat diabetes in traditional medicine and is now commercially available as tea (from fruits or leaves), juice, extracts, and pills. In recent years researchers worldwide have started to focus on the many antidiabetic effects and other health secrets of bitter gourd.
7. Liver tonic: Helps to maintain healthy liver and bladder. It is also useful in removing kidney stones and relieving gout pain.
8. Blood Cell Booster and Cleanser: The compounds a-eleostearic acid and the 15, 16-dihydroxy-a-eleostearic acid, are a good remedy for leukemia and blood irregularities such as anemia. It helps in producing healthy red blood cells and balances the amount of white blood cells in your body. Its juice cleanses the liver and blood off toxins and is highly beneficial for treating blood disorders like blood boils and itching due to toxemia.
9. Folates Source: Has high amount of Folates that helps in treating defective neural tubes which usually occurs during early pregnancy.
10. Anti Aging: Vitamin C, a powerful antioxidant, fights and eliminates free radicals, reducing wrinkles and slowing down the Aging process. It also protects the skin from damage by sun’s UV rays.
11. For Respiratory disorders: Fresh pods are an excellent remedy for curing respiratory problems like asthma, cold, cough, bronchitis and pharyngitis.
12. Nutrients/Vitamin SuperStore: Contains flavonoids such as ÃŸ-carotene, Beta-carotene, lutein, and zea-xanthin. Low in calories, rich in phytonutrients like dietary fiber, minerals, vitamins and anti-oxidants and a good source of niacin (vitamin B-3), pantothenic acid (vitamin B-5), pyridoxine (vitamin B-6) and minerals such as iron, zinc, potassium, manganese and magnesium.
13. Disease Buster: Not only effective in killing malaria bacteria, but it can also weaken some viruses such as Cholera, Chickenpox, Measles, Herpes and Jaundice.
14. Immunity Booster: This bitter juice can also help to strengthen your immune system and increase your body’s resistance against a variety of infections.
15. Psoriasis Cure: Regular consumption of this bitter juice has curative benefits in treatment of psoriasis, fungal infections like ring-worm and athletes feet, and skin infections like eczema.
16. Acne Cure: Helps prevent acne, thanks to its blood purifying properties. Keeps your skin glowing and free from blemishes and infections.
17. Eye Care: High beta-carotene and other properties, help alleviate eye problems and in improving eyesight.
18. For Hangover: Its anti-intoxication properties are beneficial in the treatment of hangover and eliminating liver problems, due to alcohol consumption.
19. Hair Care: Super hair tonic which imparts shine, wards off dandruff, treats split ends, combats dryness and itchiness of scalp, reduces hair loss, treats rough and tangled hair, prevents premature graying and removes excess oiliness in hair.
20. Energy Source: Regular consumption of this bitter juice has been proven to improve energy and stamina levels. Even sleeping patterns have been shown to be improved/stabilized.
Karen Foster is a holistic nutritionist, avid blogger, with five kids and an active lifestyle that keeps her in pursuit of the healthiest path towards a life of balance.
Original source of the article: http://preventdisease.com/news/14/051914_20-Health-Secrets-of-Bitter-Gourd.shtml