6_A_Chinese_man_who_went_t1o

This Is What Can Happen To The Body When Your Sushi Is Not So Fresh

in Overall Health by

Sushi is more popular than ever before but eating it “has become the new Russian roulette” in terms of safety. One man’s love of sashimi nearly killed him after it led to his body becoming riddled with tapeworms.

It’s the main reason to consume wasabi with every mouthful of sushi since it kills the parasites. They are common in sushi that has not been prepared according to industry standards. These parasites can cause a wide range of health concerns, making those affected quite miserable for several days.

A Chinese man found out the hard way when he went to his doctor complaining of stomach ache and itchy skin. To his horror, scans revealed his entire body had been infected with tapeworm after eating too much sashimi – raw slices of fish.

6_A_Chinese_man_who_went_t1o

The general rule is that fish served raw in this country has been flash-frozen before you eat it. The FDA requires that all fish (with the exception of tuna) destined to be served raw in the U.S. be frozen at a minimum of minus four degrees Fahrenheit for seven days or minus thirty-one degrees for fifteen hours. Either process kills parasites inside of a fish, and also keeps it fresh.

Doctors believe some of the uncooked Japanese delicacy of raw meat or fish must have become contaminated before the Chinese man ate it.

He was treated at the Guangzhou No. 8 People’s Hospital in Guangdong Province, in eastern China.

Research has shown that eating raw or undercooked fish can lead to a variety of parasitic infections.

Tapeworm infections occur after ingesting the larvae of diphyllobothrium, found in freshwater fish such as salmon, although marinated and smoked fish can also transmit the worm.

While cases have increased in poorer areas due to improved sanitation, cases have increased in more developed countries.

This is most likely due to the soaring popularity of sushi, say doctors writing in the journal Canadian Family Physician.

Study author Nancy Craig wrote: ‘The widespread popularity of Japanese sushi and sashimi (slices of raw fish) is a contributor.

‘But other popular dishes might also be implicated, such as raw salted or marinated fillets – which originate from Baltic and Scandinavian countries – carpaccio – very thin slices of raw fish common in Italy, raw salmon and ceviche – lightly marinated fish.’

6_A_Chinese_man_who_went_to

Dr Yin, of Guangzhou No. 8 People’s Hospital, told the website that’smags.com that eating uncooked food contaminated with tapeworms’ eggs could eventually cause cysticercosis, when the adult worms enters a person’s blood stream.

This type of infection is life-threatening once it reaches the brain. People may have little or no symptoms for years, develop approximately one to two centimeter painless solid bumps in the skin and muscles, or have neurological symptoms if the brain is affected. After months or years these bumps can become painful and swollen then resolve.

April McCarthy is a community journalist playing an active role reporting and analyzing world events to advance our health and eco-friendly initiatives.

Original source of the article: http://preventdisease.com/news/14/092914_What-Can-Happen-Body-When-Sushi-Not-So-Fresh.shtml