12 Great Foods To Eat And Stay Healthy
We have all heard the phrase, “you are what you eat.” And it’s true. Eating healthy foods results in less body fat, higher levels of energy, better body function, and more self-confidence! In addition to those excellent benefits, eating certain healthy foods can prevent diseases, protect your immune system, and keep your skin looking beautiful.
1. Whole eggs are extremely nutrient-dense. The yellow yolk contains 25% of your daily need of choline, a nutrient that has proven to prevent breast cancer. Unless you have heart disease, consuming one whole egg a day is healthy for most healthy individuals.
2. Greek yogurt is an incredible source of calcium and compared with the fat of regular yogurt, it has less fat and twice the protein. Also, consuming Greek yogurt can boost your immune system because of the healthy bacteria it contains.
3. Salmon is an excellent source of healthy fat, omega-3s, and vitamin D. Although most of the time, we consider fat as a bad thing, the fatty acids contained in salmon help with body function and health. For example, these fatty acids aid in weight loss, prevent heart disease, and keep your skin smooth and supple.
5. Although there are many advocators of vegetarianism and the raw food trend, meat contains essential nutrients and fat for our bodies to thrive. It is important to buy lean meats such as lean beef. Beef is an excellent source of iron. To prevent the cause of anemia, absorbing enough iron is crucial. Beef also contains B vitamins and zinc.
6. Beans have a wonderful chemical nutrient structure. They are high in fiber, protein, and essential nutrients such as potassium, magnesium, and calcium. Research shows that eating beans can lower one’s risk of heart attack. Beans are easy to store and delicious. The recommended intake amount is three cups per week.
8. Food containing soy such as soy milk, edamame, and tofu are said to help prevent heart disease. Soy-containing foods have healthy fats. However, stick to whole soy-containing foods instead of refined processed foods made with soy powder.
9. To further combat heart disease, eat fiber-rich oatmeal. The lowest calorie oatmeal is unsweetened. Add strawberries, half a banana, and a splash of non-fat milk for a sweeter, super low-fat breakfast.
10. High in omega-3 fats, flax seed reduces heart disease significantly by helping the body to keep red blood cells from clotting. It is also said to reduce breast cancer for women.
11. Olive oil is an excellent source of monounsaturated fats, which lower “bad” cholesterol and increase the “good” cholesterol in the bloodstream. Extra virgin olive oil is highest in antioxidants. Olive oil has been said to reduce the risk of cancer and Alzheimer’s.
12. Also high in monounsaturated fats, avocados are hugely beneficial to one’s health. Avocados are great sources of nutrients linked to decreasing heart disease and maintain elasticity in the skin. Because avocados are high in calories, swap an avocado with a high-fat food like mayonnaise or cheese.
These are only twelve of the best foods to eat towards achieving maximum health. Research the others and enjoy these foods in abundance.
Becca Eisenberg is a health consultant and wellness coach currently working with True Girl, girls skin care.