Published On: Wed, Jun 12th, 2013

Anaphylaxis- The Worst Allergic Reaction To A Wasp Sting

Anaphylaxis- The Worst Allergic Reaction To A Wasp StingAnaphylactic shock is an allergic reaction that is triggered when wasp venom is injected into your bloodstream. This makes wasp venom potentially lethal being a variety of compounds including dopamine, histamine and mast cell de-granulating peptide. The different effect of each compound can cause a powerful allergic reaction when stung by a wasp. If you are allergic to insect bites and stings, the injected venom can cause anaphylactic shock. With additional stings, the reaction worsens and can even lead to death if untreated. Learning more about this allergic reaction will help you treat a wasp sting.

What Happens When Anaphylactic Shock Occurs?

Once the venom mixes into your bloodstream, large quantities of histamines are quickly released and your blood pressure will decrease. This will then result in breathing difficulty and in severe cases even death. There is also a possibility that you will not realize you are allergic until you are stung. It is also possible for the allergy to build up slowly each time you are stung by wasps as each sting increases the risk of allergic reactions. Unfortunately, bees are also known to cause anaphylaxis when they sting.

How Will You Determine That You Are Having An Anaphylactic Shock?

In order to determine if you are already experiencing anaphylaxis you will need to know the symptoms of the allergy.

  • Swelling of lips, eyes, hand and feet
  • Sore, red and itchy eyes
  • Itchy skin rash that reddens
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Metallic taste in the mouth
  • Loss of blood pressure
  • Dizziness

Once these symptoms are experienced, immediate medical assistance is needed.

How You Can Treat Wasp Stings

Unlike bees, wasps do not have barbs on their stingers and this allows them to sting repeatedly. You will feel pain when the venom is being injected, but it will fade and develop into an itchy wound. Fortunately, there are over the counter creams and sprays to treat stings and you must have these at home if you are allergic to insect bites and stings. This will serve as your first aid treatment until you seek medical assistance. You can also place an ice pack over the stung area to help relieve the pain. This is an effective treatment as the ice will help cool down the burning sensation caused by the acidic venom penetrating your skin tissue. Nevertheless, treatment for a wasp sting will always be dependent in the severity of the allergic reaction.

Prevent The Risk Of Anaphylaxis

The best way to reduce the risk of getting stung by wasps and suffering from anaphylaxis is by prevention. Keep your garden clean and garbage free at all times and if you have a wasp nest in your garden or built on the sides of your home, have a pest control professional get rid of it. Never attempt to remove a wasp nest on your own because you will need the skills and the equipment used in wasp control. Once you locate a wasp nest on your property, keep children and pets away from the area and keep all windows and doors closed until a professional removes it.

Citations:
Featured images:
  •  License: Royalty Free or iStock source: http://mrg.bz/CIPr7N

Valerie Banks is a freelance writer specializing in health and natural pest control methods. She also writes about allergic reactions to insect stings, sting treatments and the importance of Tulsa wasp control.

Support us. Please share...

Leave a comment

You must be Logged in to post comment.