Without a doubt, no one likes dry hair. It can appear dull, frizzy and unmanageable. Dry hair comes about because of a lack of moisture in the hair shaft that can be caused by improper hair treatment, medical conditions and/or excessive chemical exposure. You can use various methods to add moisture back into your hair but often finding the right combination is a time consuming and tricky process.
If, after doing everything you can to add moisture to your hair it still does not respond, it may be a sign of an underlying medical condition in which case it would be best to consult a physician. However, you can take the following steps prior to resorting to this to try and add some moisture back in to those dry and lifeless locks:
1. Do not wash hair daily – Avoid washing your hair on a daily basis. According to top scientists, washing your hair after two or three days will help you to preserve its natural moisture as opposed to washing it every single day.
2. Use a specially formulated dry hair conditioner – You should use a conditioner for dry hair to condition your hair every time you wash it. Doing this will give it more shine and make it easier to manage. When the hair is dirty or when haircare products build up, they coat the hair shaft and keep the moisture from penetrating into the shaft thus resulting in a dry and itchy scalp.
3. Use a deep conditioner weekly – You should purchase a deep conditioner that contains polymers or proteins and apply it every other week or perhaps monthly. This kind of conditioner will help reverse the damage to the outer layer of your hair, which brings about the dull and dry feel. You can buy this product from credible sites online where you can perhaps find it at a cheaper price too. Additionally, avoid using shampoos that contain combination conditioners as these will not effectively remove the buildup from dirt and hair products.
4. Home treatment option A – Some experts recommend a simple home treatment as being an adequate solution. First, mix half a cup of boiling water with half a cup of olive oil and four vitamin E capsules. Shake this mixture thoroughly until you blend the oil. Test the mixture’s temperature on your scalp to be sure it doesn’t burn or cause an allergic reaction.
Next, apply the mixture on to your head and wrap a plastic bag over your hair. Leave the mixture for 30 minutes or more depending on how dry your hair is then finally, use a good shampoo to rinse out the mixture.
5. Home treatment option B – Alternatively, you can heat half a cup of olive oil and dried rosemary leaves in a pan until they are warm. Strain this mixture and then apply it to your hair and scalp. Use a plastic bag to wrap up your hair and then cover it with a towel. Leave the mixture on for about 15 minutes. Wash your hair thoroughly twice to remove the hot oil treatment completely. Do this treatment at least twice a month to hydrate your hair.
So there we have it! Home treatment and other shop bought, commercial options – there are plenty of ways to hydrate your hair and get rid of that itchy, dry scalp feeling.
- License: Creative Commons image source
Hair care can be so difficult to get right and frustrating and embarrassing to get wrong – for a great variety of treatments to suit all sorts of hair and scalp types Lucy recommends trying Strictly Beautiful online.