Sandalwood Powder and Oil for Acne Scar Removal
Sandalwood, or Santalum Album, can be used as a substitute for chemical acne treatments. Sandalwood oil and powder have been used to cure a number of ailments, but they have also been used, with great success, to reduce acne scars.
Whether you’re looking to use sandalwood as part of your daily beauty regime or whether you are specifically looking for sandalwood acne and acne scar treatments, you’ll find a range of beauty hints and tips here that include the use of sandalwood.
Why Sandalwood is so Effective as a Treatment for Acne and Acne Scarring
In a world of affordable home therapies and expensive commercial treatments, it’s often difficult to know which beauty treatment you should opt for.
Acne in particular is an ailment that is on the rise, and in a society that is fixated on beauty there is an increasing demand for products that can help alleviate acne breakouts and reduce acne scarring.
Sandalwood is an effective health and beauty treatment as it naturally has a lot of beneficial properties, including (but not limited to):
- Anti-inflammatory (helps to reduce the swelling of the skin associated with acne spots)
- Anti-bacterial (prevents the bacteria contained within acne spots from spreading to other parts of the skin)
- Cicatrisant (soothes broken skin and helps to reduce the appearance of scar tissue)
- Disinfectant (helps to eliminate germs and bacteria on the skin reducing the risk of future outbreaks)
- Emollient (can relieve skin that is sore and irritated)
As well as being effective in the treatment of skin conditions sandalwood has an alluring and potent aroma that is extremely evocative.
Using Sandalwood Oil and Powder in Anti Acne Treatments
One of the most effective acne treatments that utilize the incredibly useful properties of sandalwood is to use the powder or oil in a paste which is then applied to the face.
- Mix a small amount of sandalwood oil or powder with a similar amount of turmeric powder. Then, add a few drops of lemon juice to this mix to create a paste. If you choose to mix sandalwood powder and turmeric together then you may also need a few drops of water.
- Once you are happy that you have a paste, apply directly to freshly washed skin. Leave the paste on your face for around 10 to 15 minutes, and then wash off your face with luke-warm water. Gently towel dry your face, and be sure to the towel into the wash (this prevents the spread of bacteria).
- Repeat this home remedy every other day to reduce future acne outbreaks, to soothe any existing acne spots and to reduce the appearance of acne scarring.
Alternatively, you can create your own home clay mask which can be used every day.
- Mix two teaspoons of sandalwood powder with two teaspoons of warm water and mix into a smooth paste.
- Apply to the face, avoiding the eyes and lips.
- Allow the mask to dry, and wait at least 20 minutes before washing off.
- Rinse with warm water, but don’t scrub your face as this will aggravate your acne spots. Instead rinse gently and take your time.
- Once the mask is fully removed with warm water then rinse your face with cold water. This will dramatically reduce the size of your pores and will leave your skin feeling fresh.
- Gently towel-dry your face and place the towel in your wash bin to reduce the spread of bacteria.
Many recommend using rose water instead of plain water for a truly fragrant and refreshing facial treatment; however, you can use just plain water if you prefer.
If you have a current outbreak of acne then be patient, as it may take time to see a distinctive difference in your skin. If you are using sandalwood to treat acne scarring then wait 2 to 3 weeks before looking for any changes.
As well as an effective anti acne and acne scar removal treatment, sandalwood can also be used for a number of skin ailments, including:
- Scrapes and cuts
- Reduction of pimples and spots
- Calming of itchy, dry or otherwise irritated skin
- Treatment of bug bites
- Treatment of oily skin
Author Bio: Jefferey Morgan has written this article. He was having a good knowledge of beauty products and clinical beauty treatments, thus he joined a site for clinical acne treatments as an advisor. For more info you can see here.