Cosmetic dentistry is something that more and more adults are turning to improve their appearance, their health, and how they feel about themselves. It’s a fact that your smile is one of the first things people notice about you. Although crooked, missing or off-white teeth are very normal, they can make you feel less confident about your smile which translates to stress, self-consciousness and potentially even a career obstacle. These are things that dentists can easily correct – but many people still hesitate. It can be a big step.
If you’re considering cosmetic dentistry of any kind, from implants to orthodontics to tooth whitening, it’s important that you find a dentist you can trust and feel completely at ease with. Dental work can be an easy and comfortable experience if you find the right doctor. So what do you look for in a cosmetic dentist?
1. Experience. This should be a no brainer, but it’s a must. Make sure the dentist you choose has a good understanding of cosmetic dentistry. But dentists who specialize in cosmetic dentistry gain a great deal of experiential knowledge that allows them to be more exact and make your procedure more comfortable and relaxing. Don’t be afraid to seek a specialist outside your normal family dentist. Also, make sure you see a lot of before and after pictures of the actual patients the dentist has treated. This is a good way to see if they can produce the kind of results you are looking for.
2. Options. One of the best signs of a good cosmetic dentist is that they take time to explain all your options. If they have a particular procedure they recommend above the others, they should be able to explain why it’s a better fit and what the pros and cons of each alternative are. The more informed you are, the easier it will be to make a choice and you’ll feel better about it.
3. Long term view. Many forms of cosmetic dentistry involve long term work. How long will you need to wear your orthotics? How long will a bridge or cap last? Does your procedure have any side effects of long term risks? Your dentist should explain not just what to expect in the chair, but years from now.
4. Comfort level. Above all, you should feel good about your cosmetic dentist. Trust your gut feeling and go to someone you believe in.
There are many San Antonio cosmetic dentistswith different styles and areas of expertise. Take your time sorting through them and choosing the one that’s right for you. When you find one you trust, you’ll be glad you did.
- License: Creative Commons image source
Follow Ashely @ashelymarie1985 to see what else she has to say!