As most smokers will testify, smoking is a very difficult habit to quit. An overwhelming majority of smokers admit that they try to quit smoking year after year but many times they fail simply because they don’t find a reliable method to quit smoking. The following are among the most popular methods followed by people around the world who have successfully quit smoking:
- Cold Turkey: Many smokers decide to rely on their powers of self-control to quit smoking abruptly. In most cases, the smoker gets the urge to quit in a matter of minutes or hours. Although, some smokers have shown lots of success with this method, it is probably the least reliable way of quitting depending on your personality and character. If you’re a type of person who makes sudden decisions and follows through until the end, this method may be right for you. On the other hand, others find this method unreliable as it includes no preparation or planning. Also, the sudden withdrawing of nicotine can take its toll on your body, so be careful.
- Nicotine Patches: These patches allow limited quantities of nicotine to gradually enter the bloodstream, thereby helping you deal with your nicotine cravings. Some smokers have reported that the only reason nicotine patches have not worked for them is because they still miss the experience of putting a cigarette in their mouth. This is the psychological aspect of quitting. Some smokers have dealt with this aspect by chewing on a toothpick throughout the day.
- Zyban: This drug contains the antidepressant buproprion which has the ability to increase levels of dopamine and norepinephrine in the brain. This helps a person feel elated and it also helps reduce cravings for nicotine. However, this drug cannot be used for a long period of time or by people suffering from certain disorders of the kidney, liver, heart etc. Consult with your doctor before choosing this method.
- Electronic Cigarettes: These are the latest devices that have had the most success rate in helping people stop smoking. They are not really cigarettes. Rather, they are cartomizers containing liquid nicotine which vaporizes when heated. The person trying to quit smoking can use this device to mimic the act of smoking while inhaling the nicotine vapors. The cartridges are available in many different flavors and nicotine strength, just like real cigarettes. Though these are not “Quit Smoking” devices, they can definitely help you decrease your nicotine cravings. Learn more about e-cigarette and e-cigarette benefits to find out how these devices can help you.
- Nicotine Chewing Gum: When chewed, nicotine is released into the saliva and it is then absorbed by the gums. This is a very inexpensive option and that’s why many people choose this option over other methods. The only downside to this method is that it can sometimes lead to irritation of the gums.
Anyone who plans to stop smoking may need to try more than one of the methods above before he or she is able to succeed. Cigarette smokers should also receive a lot of support from their friends and family members. It’s been proven that moral support from the people we care about can dramatically increase the chances of succeeding in the journey to quit smoking.